Multiple users can't see chat history anymore

We have been using Spark since 2006 and have always had the history available via the local client with chat history disabled on the server.

Something seems to have happened in early December to change that.

We may have tried a new Spark version such as 2.6.3 or a beta.

I may changed some settings on the server but don’t know if it was around that time.

Anyway, the bottom line is that our chat history doesn’t save anymore and we can still view our old history up to December 11th, 2011.

Windows7 Pro 64 Bit

Openfire 3.6.4

Spark 2.6.3 and 2.6.3.12555 (beta from 12/14/2012)

Is there a setting I could have messed with on the Openfire web admin page that could prevent individual clients from properly saving their chat history ?

If not, then is there a bug in 2.6.3 and it’s beta’s that make it unable to save chat history ?

I have verified the location of the chat history files matches the directory that other posts have mentioned c:\Users*username*\Spark\user*username@servername.domainname*\transcripts\

I am our Openfire Administrator and need your help to figure this out.
hazelcast-patch.txt.zip (812 Bytes)

I figiured someone would have an answer for me by now …

http://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-1447 may help.

I don’t have anything like "“name@server/Spark 2.6.3"” in the user@jabberserver.domain.xml file

I do have lines like this though :

THEM@jabber.company.nonreg

ME@jabber.company.nonreg/spark

Is it working better now ?

2008-04-03 16:48:25.277 CDT

It just stopped logging cold on 12/8/11.

I have looked through all of the server settings and client settings but don’t know what the H is happenning.

If you check transcripts xmls, can you find recent messages in there? Maybe you are hitting the 5000 messages limit, which was set at some point (i think not in the official 2.6.3). You can read this post about this limit and proposals how to get rid of it http://community.igniterealtime.org/thread/45195?start=30&tstart=0

I checked the transcript xml files and they stopped on Dec 8th, 2011.

It’s like the client has the option to disable history stuck in the ON position.

I even uninstalled Spark and reinstalled it from a new download.

I had been reading that link yesterday and see that a ptach was released (spark-1407_pageByWeek2.patch.zip) but I’m not really sure how to apply it or sure if it even addresses my problem at all.

I only use windows clients to connect to an Openfire server running on linux.

The “Spark 2.6.3 and 2.6.3.12555 (beta from 12/14/2012)” package that I installed is from December 19th, 2011 and is called the Spark 2.7.0 beta 1 download.

Check the permissions on Spark profile folder. Are you able to change preferences in Spark and save them?

I am able to change the preferences just fine.

The permissions for my directory (assume my profile)

c:\Users*username*\Spark\user*username@servername.domainname*

are "Full Control for this folder, subfolders, and files"and the effective permissions tab shows all checkboxes checked for my username.

The co-worker in the next office is having the exact same problem. He has upgraded spark at different intervals to different versions than me but is now using 2.6.3 stable release.

I used the latest beta build from Dec 2011 2.6.3.12555 a few days ago but think I was using vanilla 2.6.3 before that.

Profile for the new version is at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Spark

What if you move your old history from the transcript folder. Wonder if it works with the fresh transcripts files.