Must you register with jabber.org?

Sorry for this but, if you have Jive Messenger (as the IM server software) and you want to keep it LAN based must you register with jabber.org or any other public access service? How would I go about setting up a LAN based server? Must the users only register or create profile with the local server?

the latter would make more sense, but I havent found any documentation

basically i just need some information/how to for setting up a LAN based Jive Messenger system

no outside access at all…

so it’‘s similar to “outside” server. Install JM on for example you computer and the server will have your computer’'s name. Others will have to register or connect like this: username@computername

or their can use your local IP to connect: username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, or could put your IP with alias in their hosts.

Anyway, you dont have to register with jabber.org. Just tell us what you have already done about this? There is some installation guide somethere at this forum.

Sorry for this but, if you have Jive Messenger (as

the IM server software) and you want to keep it LAN

based must you register with jabber.org or any other

public access service?

You can have an internal JM server without having to tell anyone. No need to register with jabber.org or anyone else.

How would I go about setting up a LAN based server?

Simply install JM as described in the JM docs. The key is to setup your internal DNS to publish where your service is located at. See this page for help:

http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/docs/section05.html#5_7

Must the users only register or create profile with the local server?

Correct. The server and user database will be self-contained. I actually have how setup to authenticate off our our Active Directory system with user registrations disabled, so if you’‘ve not in AD, you don’'t get to log in.

Any other questions?

thank you for that helpful information

at the moment that is all i need

i am just doing an evaluation for my company of commercial and open source IM solutions

thank you again:)

Actually I do have one more question

Is there any documentation on how to push roster/user lists to clients for LAN users?

scientificthegreat,

I believe you’‘re looking for our “shared roster group” feature. If you create a group, you’'ll notice the option to share that group in the rosters of other people (using a few options).

Regards,

Matt