My Jive Messenger(How can I integrate Jive Messenger with Linux accounts?)

Hi all

I have been assigned to set up a messenger service for internal use with around 500 user base. This is my first assignments to set up a server. I have been mostly on help desk before and I am more familiar with the client side only. I am also new to the IT environment also.

I am glad that I have chosen Jive Messenger. It is very easy to set up and configure. I will reserve “very easy to maintain” for later. I have chosen Jive messenger because it is the most feature rich among the GPL license holder. I also find that the community and developer are very active and they are willing to help even newbies like me.

Here is what I have done.

I have successfully set up the jive messenger on my windows xp box for testing purpose.

I have struggled with mysql for 8 hours as I don’'t know any DB and have used the windows set up!!!

I have tried different clients from windows box and linux box also.

After evaluating all the clients (gaim, gabber, gush, psi, exodus)

I find that exodus is the most suitable for my need. Unfortunately I can’'t find the equivalent of exodus for linux. gaim does not support full jabber protocol, I think, as I find it become irresponsive after other client (exodus) issue an admin command. gabber and psi are doing fine how ever they lack the administrative tool (Kick, ban, make moderator, make Admin)

Then we have Gush. Gush has the most beautiful Interface among them and it also support all the feature, and it can run on linux and windows also. However the problem with Gush is that it is a flash application and tax a lot of CPU and memory resources. It is also a bit slow to respond. I have not finished complete installation of gush on linux (missing fonts) and can’'t test it very well. Linux version is also behind that of windows.

I do not see function for MUC room creation in any of the clients.

I have decided to use exodus for windows but still not finding the right one for linux.

Since I have been working on the project during spare time on helpdesk duty and I have been testing them all by myself. I might miss some of the things I am looking for in them.

So my first question will be “Which Linux client can perform like exodus does with admin tools?”

I also need messenger via browser and I find that in JWChat. I have not fully tested it yet.

I need more help for this later parts.

I want to integrate Jive to our linux user database so that the users do not need to have several profile to look after. I also want to make sure that there is security and privacy. I want to know how things work.

I have read that Jive keeps itself a copy of DB through userProvider class even when it is using the other authentication system and database. I wonder if that DB keeps password or if it does, if it is in plain text. I prefer it does not keep such information in Jive DB. I have also decided to disable the change password feature so that it is much more easier to maintain. However I want to know what would happen to the Jive DB with password if the user change the password in other place (in his linux box, our Linux user DB is updated). I want to know how I can integrate Jive messenger and Linux user accounts with NIS authentication. I want to know how I can get encryption for the data.

I would appreciate very much if any one can provide a thorough and easy to follow procedure on how I can integrate Jive with Linux account with encryption.

Thank you very much.

wmhtet

Message was edited by:

dombiak_gaston

I wonder what happen to my line spacing .

Hi wmhtet,

I am glad to hear that you decided to use Messenger.

So my first question will be "Which Linux client can perform like exodus does

with admin tools?"

Have you looked at the Linux version of Psi? I’'ve never used it on Linux but the Windows version has what I think are most of the features you are looking for. Just in case you have not come across it, there are a number of clients listed url=http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtmlhere[/url].

I also need messenger via browser and I find that in JWChat. I have not fully

tested it yet.

You might want to take a look at the unoffical version of JWChat that Gato posted url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15346here[/url].

I want to integrate Jive to our linux user database so that the users do not

need to have several profile to look after.

I haven’‘t seen this done before but that doesn’‘t mean it’'s not possible, maybe someone else has? Depedning on your developer/Java skills you could probably write your own implementation of the UserProvider and AuthProvider to integrate Messenger with your Linux user database.

I wonder if that DB keeps password or if it does, if it is in plain text.

The passwords are stored in plaintext. There have been a number of discussions regarding the security of the passwords, take a look at url=http://jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13834this thread[/url] for some good information.

I want to know how I can integrate Jive messenger and Linux user accounts

with NIS authentication.

Here is url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=14894a link[/url] to someone who is looking to do the same thing. Matt suggested looking at url=http://opensource.cenqua.com/shaj/index.htmlShaj /url

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi wmhtet,

I wonder what happen to my line spacing .

Looks like in the second paragraph, after the second sentence you put < I which the forums translated to a html italic tag. If you go back and edit your post to replace the angle brackets with parathese your formatting will return.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

So my first question will be "Which Linux client can

perform like exodus does with admin tools?"

Three interesting multi-platform clients:

Hi Sanderd

Thanks for the linux client link. I have seen Coccinella before but I’‘ve tried it yet because it said it is in early beta state. I have also checked out Tkabber as it is provided in jabber.org client page. However they stop developing 2 years ago and their last uploaded Download file is in 2003. I have avoided that. Gajim has all the feature I am looking for. I hope it has fixed the problem you mention. Thanks for Gajim. I am sorry that I run out of “helpful” click. (don’'t know, I only got two for that).

Thx

wmhtet

//I know that this is an active project and I will have a quick response here

//Thanks you guys

Hi Ryang

I have used psi in windows and not finding the features I look for. I have been to jabber.org client web page.I have also got Gato JWChat before from other thread (message ID 100136 ?, I don’'t know if it is the right one) and have downloaded it and installed it.

I tried to do my home work before posting here not to bug busy developer with little things but I am afraid that it still might be the case.

I have successfully installed Jive Messenger on my Debian box. I have used mysql running on the Windows box where I have installed and run Jive Messenger. (I have question for this case also and I will post it in different thread.) I’'ve got help from the thread, message ID 100104. I just enable all priveleges so that I can get a working Project now.

Now I try to test JWChat. I have installed jakarta TomCat 5.5.10. I have dropped the Gato’‘s JWChat file in webapps as he has metioned in 100136. When I tried that on windows box, somehow it does not do anything. Later I look around checking how things work. Then I tried extracting the file with winrar. Then opening the index.html file inside (I am such a newbie ) Now, on debian it works like Gato said. I drop it to the proper location and it extracts itself. I don’‘t know if I need to configure something or not. http://localhost:9090/jwchat-1.0beta1 doesn’‘t work. (May be this just a pure example?) so I open the index file in jwchat-1.0beta1 folder which is inside TomCat’‘s webapp. Now I got the interface. (I’'ve got here with windows also) However it is not working. It is not connecting to anyserver, it is not getiing an online presence, the preference function only allow to access General tab, the rest are not accessable. It just does not work other than getting the interface. I would really appreciate if you can tell me where I do wrong.

I have to simply say that I cannot code UserProvider and AuthProvider class as I have a very limited knowledge in this area. The same goes for the shaj project also.

For password store in the plain text issue, I’'ll look into it and may be start a another thread. (you guys are gonna hate me )

Hi wmhtet,

Try entering http://localhost:8080/jwchat-1.0beta1 to access JWChat; 8080 is the default Tomcat port, 9090 is the default port for the Messenger Admin Console.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Thanks. It works!!! It even have all the feature I have been looking for!!! There is a little bit delay though. I’'ll be closing this thread. I wanna say sorry to people who is comming after answer for the subject.

Thx

Wmhtet

Thanks for the linux client link. I have seen

Coccinella before but I’'ve tried it yet because it

said it is in early beta state.

I never have seen crashing a release

I have also checked

out Tkabber as it is provided in jabber.org client

page. However they stop developing 2 years ago and

their last uploaded Download file is in 2003.

I think in 2004 there was a release…but Alexey said me yesterday he will do a new Tkabber release next week. This new will include “Partial support for JEP-0013” if I may believe the Changelog in cvs. I think this is the only client to test that feature in 2.2.0 with if I am right.

Hi Wmhtet,

I am happy to hear everything is working for you.

Have fun,

Ryan

Hi Ryang and Sanderd

Thanks again.

I want to update the thread that JWchat does not work with Opera web browser however it work with both firefox and IE.

wmhtet