MySQL connection problem

Hi, hope this is a straightforward one - I have no experience with MySQL and am trying to fix this, any pointers appreciated. Openfire 3.5.2 running on RED HAT Ent v5.2, latest version of MySQL Community, just downloaded yesterday. I’ve followed all the instructions for setting up a MySQL database, created the db called “openfire”, imported all the tables etc (can see them in MySQL Administartor GUI) and am using the root login / password to try and connect. However I get “A connection to the database could not be made” and the following in /opt/openfire/logs/error.log - (I’ve just pasted the top half as it refers to “unknown host”, that’s the only actual “error” i can see. I have tried localhost, 127.0.01 and the server name itself- no difference. I’m sure it can’t be that simple - any ideas what it could point to? Cheers, Nick

2008.06.21 07:24:50 [org.jivesoftware.util.log.util.CommonsLogFactory$1.error(Co

mmonsLogFactory.java:92)] Prototype

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to under

lying exception:

• BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.UnknownHostException

STACKTRACE:

java.net.UnknownHostException:

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.ja

va:246)

at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:271)

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:2771)

at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.<init>(Connection.java:1555)

at com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java

:285)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.DefaultConnectionBuilder.buildConnection(D

efaultConnectionBuilder.java:39)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.buildConnection(Prototyper.java

:159)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.Prototyper.sweep(Prototyper.java:102)

at org.logicalcobwebs.proxool.PrototyperThread.run(PrototyperThread.java

:44)

More(96%)

Why do I always find the simple answer the minute I post a question on a forum? This was particularly stupid - not knowing the MySQL syntax I assumed the square brackets were necessary ie. mysql://[localhost]:3361/[openfire]

Need more coffee I think.