Native Authentication

What are the main purposes for using Native Authentication?

I have successfully set up Jive Messenger 2.3.1 to authenticate users through LDAP against AD, and then out of curiosity tried the NativeAuth method as well, which works.

I’‘d like to learn how to set up an IM client so that when a user logs into the domain the client logs into the Jive Messenger server with the given user’'s credentials. I am planning an OS image deployment and it would be slick to do this so that it works for the users out-of-the box.

I am working with Windows XP workstations and AD is in Windows Server 2003 environment. Jive Messenger is running on a separate Windows 2003 server.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

What are the main purposes for using Native

Authentication?

From the javadoc:

Authenticates using the native operating system authentication method. On Windows,

this means Win32 authentication; on Unix/Linux, PAM authentication. New user accounts

will be created automatically as needed.

I’'d like to learn how to set up an IM client so that

when a user logs into the domain the client logs into

the Jive Messenger server with the given user’'s

credentials. I am planning an OS image deployment and

it would be slick to do this so that it works for the

users out-of-the box.

This is really going to be IM client specific, it may be that most clients won’'t have this kind of feature, (i.e. using the users domain credentials). You may have to request the authors to add

this feature. Lots of people like the Pandion client, Jive also offer a free client called Spark but you will probably have to do some research to find the one that suits your needs.

Hope that helps,

Conor.

Thanks! That is helpful.

I searched the Pandion forum and found this relevant thread:

http://forums.pandion.be/viewtopic.php?t=441&highlight=authentication

It sounds like the Pandion developers have created the ability to do this with Pandion provided the IM server supports the behavior, which seems to be called single sign in (SSI).

It’'d be tres cool if Wildfire supported integrated authentication (single sign on).

There is already a request for it http://www.jivesoftware.org/issues/browse/JM-281 go and vote for it. I know it would be very nice for most AD sites.