Need Help, Broadcast or Away Messages lock up

We are using Wildfire 2.6.1 on a windows server in one location, and Exodus 0.9.1.0 on our other widows computers in our stores to create an

internal messaging system. It seems that after we upgraded to 0.9.1.0 that a problem we thought would go away got worse. It seems when we send a ‘‘broadcast message’’ to stores, it will do strange things like show a blank window that takes forever to load the data or completely lock up forcing the user to restart exodus. This even occasionally happens with regular messages going from one person to another if the recipient is markes as away.

Any help on this is appreciated. Either a way to fix, or a better solution as far as a windows based client that we can prevent from connecting to other messengers on a per user basis.

Thanks in adavance.

Hey sydeburnz,

It seems to me that this is an Exodus problem with its broadcast feature. Have you tried using the broadcast plugin available in Wildfire instead? You can create groups (from the server side) for each list of users to broadcast. Then you can add to your roster something like this "store1@broadcast.myserver.com" so you can easily send messages to the store1 group.

Regards,

– Gato

is there a way to turn it off in exodus as well? also, it is locking up just because of the amount of offline messages. i am not in front of a store that is having the issues, so do you know how to clear the messages in exodus?

is there a place for me to see how to add the plugin / setup the group?

oh, i allready have groups setup on my wildfire sever. we have a few different entities in our company grouped by city.

i.e. CDT Stores, ICT Stores, etc.

so would i set up a contact on my exodus like: CDT Stores@192.168.x.x (we have our items connect ineternally)

Hey sydeburnz,

Wildfire 2.6.* does not support downloading plugins from the admin console so you can get the broadcast plugin from here. Just drop the jar file into the plugins folder and the server will detect the new plugin. To learn how to use the plugin you can read the readme file.

FYI, JIDs (XMPP addresses) do not accept whitespaces and some other special characters. Upper case letters are converted to lowercase. So if you have a group cdt_stores and your server name is mycompany.com then the JID to use to broadcast to the cdt_stores users would be cdt_stores@broadcast.mycompany.com. You can also add groups of remote servers to your roster.

Regards,

– Gato

im almost inclined to ask if there is a better client than exodus. any recommendations for wildfire options i can use as a messenger at the stores?

what is up with this window flipping out when i type in it. the scroll bar keeps disappearing and reappearing?

Hey sydeburnz,

Sure. Just give Spark a try and see if it fits your needs. There are also other nice clients out there but I don’'t know which ones support broadcasting as a client feature.

Regards,

– Gato

do you know of a zipped version for download. my stores will not be able to download .exe due to router settings we have implimented. i dont think i can email a 20 meg file either.

thanks for this, it looks very nice and i have allready installed it on my machine.

nevermind. i just zipped it up and put it on a server and sent them the link to it. should be able to test this out. again, thanks

this is a big program compared to exodus.