New install - Openfire 3.6.2 - thousands of groups

We are running an old Jive server with ldap connectivity ( Novell / NDS ). Too old to update (the server, not me), so I decided to try a new install of Openfire 3.6.2 on my Linux workstation (RHEL WS 4 update 6). My plan was to run it, verify it, and then replace the older system, also on RHEL.

The system came up fine, and seems to have used the search filter I swiped from the existing system, for selecting the “enabled” users. When I went to the Admin panel, I found all the right users, but > 6500 groups instead of the 15 or so we have on the Jive system. Yikes! I can’t find where the system stores the groups we want to see in clients. I can’t delete the ones shown in the groups listing.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

Paul

I’m going to guess that you have > 6500 groups in LDAP? Have you tried configuring ldap.groupSearchFilter in the System Properties?

Thanks for getting back, but nope - it seems to have created a group for each user in the LDAP dir. We ARE using the ldap search filter to select the ldap groups (only three) whose members get to use Openfire.

For the client groupings, we have about 14-15, but I do not know where OpenFire gets them from or stores them - they are not the same names as the ldap groups.

Paul

Hi Paul,

are the 15 groups on your old server LDAP groups or local groups?

LG

They are local groups. That is, we created several departmental groups that are not reflected in LDAP. In the old server, we had to add each member into the right group. Wish I could do that now!

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

as I do not use LDAP I wonder if it helps when you delete the Openfire system properties provider.group.className and ldap.groupNameField.

See also http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/ldap-gui de.html

LG

try blanking out the settings for the system property: provider.group.className

if that does not work delete it entirely.