New Mail Notifications

Daniel,

Quick question - some clients (such as MSN) inform you of new mail messages (in Hotmail etc).

Is that a completely seperate mechanism performed on the client, or is it a status message from the IM service itself?

If it’s an IM message, any chances of adding support in the gateway plug-in?

thanks,

D

Howdy! Generally most of the services handle them in a “special” way that is in fact through the protocol, not something custom for the client itself. Yahoo, I think, is already supporting this (the transport that is) but I added GATE-311 shouldn’t be hard!

That’s great, thanks. My users are particularly interested (read, whiney) about MSN notifications, if you need a protocol to test it out with

The MSN client allows hyperlinks to be clicked to view messages, but I’m sure a simple: MSN Gate: You have a new message from fred@bloggs.com would do the job perfectly.

That’s great, thanks. My users are particularly interested (read, whiney) about MSN notifications, if you need a protocol to test it out with

The MSN client allows hyperlinks to be clicked to view messages, but I’m sure a simple: MSN Gate: You have a new message from fred@bloggs.com would do the job perfectly.

Daniel,

Another thought on this; is there anyway to get clients (Spark in my case) to display a toast notification rather than a message once you get this functionality working? It’d be consistent with the real clients, and would make the email notifications less intrusive.

Jumping the gun I know but something that may be worth considering if possible.

D

Hrm. That’s what they are supposed to be doing. I thought I was sending them as headlines. Is that incorrect? If it is I definitely need to tweak. =)

I didn’t realise this had gone any further than the drawing board (I’m still running 1.1.1) so my apologies. Seems you’re way ahead of me

Is this likely to make 1.1.2 or have the other issues (roster items disappearing from groups etc) consumed all your time?

thanks again!

Jade,

I would like to restate that our users are requesting to have email notifications disabled. Can the plugin be worked in such a way to make it an admin control to enable/disable this feature for each protocol?

Already plan on doing that. =) Twas GATE-324

DeeJay wrote:

I didn’t realise this had gone any further than the drawing board (I’m still running 1.1.1) so my apologies. Seems you’re way ahead of me

Is this likely to make 1.1.2 or have the other issues (roster items disappearing from groups etc) consumed all your time?

The groups thing did indeed consume most of my time, but at the end of the day, Derek found the bug in Spark so 2.5.6 should have the fix. =)

Yahoo, theoretically, has had mail notification support for a while. Can’t say I’ve ever tested it.

I’ve just signed up to test it, and you do indeed get a pop-up on login which informs you of unread email messages.

However, it doesn’t seem to update me about new email which I receive when the client is running. Is it supposed to?

Strange my users have implied that they get yahoo notifications throughout the day, which is why they are requesting the feature disabled. Most of our users use yahoo for chat only and never check their email.

Yeah it should be letting you know at all times. As far as I know there’s only one yahoo command that arrives that triggers this and it all filters to the same mechanism.