New to jive and looking for guidance

Hello. I hope this isn’'t totally foolish…

But I have been given the task to create an IM server and client where we will have a unified client for communicating internally and then externally to AOL, Yahoo, MSN IM clients. I’'d also like to be able to use AD to build buddy lists and tie the IM client to the login. and of course have logging thrown in on both internal and external chats.

I don’'t know much about jabber or jive or IM for that matter but am forced to address the issue here at work. Any help or guidance with my project would be greatly appreciated!

thank you.

pm.

You’'ve come to the right place. AD and Gateways (the connection between Messenger and AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc.) are easy, but requires you to role up your sleeves to get it just right.

Are you familiar with AD and Python (for the gateways)?

Noah

about tiying Jabber login with AD login:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15855&tstart=0

There is also working with Jive Messenger MSN gateway and beta Yahoo! gateway. Try searching the forum.

http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=15833&tstart=15

Yes, I’‘m familiar with AD and python. More AD than anything. I don’‘t mind at all getting my hands dirty configuring and tweaking it. I was just confused on how to start about it. From what i gather, I will need a Jabber server, a Jive Messenger server perhaps? internally. then I will need a client (here’'s where I start to get confused) like trillion or exodus to connect to the Jive server. Correct so far?

I did some searching of the archives but they just lead to more questions so I figured I’'d get a good start and then try to implement the pieces.

Thank you for your responses! I appreciat it.

Correct so far?

yes

P.S. to connect to server you need to create users. You can create a user while connecting with client (if enabled), or create users on server.

Start here http://www.jivesoftware.org/downloads.jsp to get Messenger (the server). Exodus (free) will be needed.

Exodus <-- network using xmpp -> jive messenger

/code

in turn.

jive messenger -> AD

|- > MSN Gateway (pyMSN-t)

|- > AIM Gateway (pyAIM-t)

- > Yahoo! Gateway (here on this site

/code

IM is basically client server. When you talk about gateways, messenger acts as a proxy to those foreign/legacy servers.

Noah

Thank you both for posting again, and I notice that points are/can be assigned. I’‘m not a huge message board person so I don’'t want to jip you guys out of points. Do I say helpful/correct after evey post? Sorry to be such a newb…

I installed Jive Messenger. and I think I have it pointing to my AD but I’'m not sure. Is there a way to verify? I was also thinking, that since i need to create clients, is it possible to either import them from AD or is it a manual process?

I’‘m downloading Exodus at the moment and will get that setup so I can at least have 2 clients talking internally, then I’'ll attempt to create the gateways so they can talk to the AOL clients.

Thanks again for your help!!!

pm

You have 2 help “awards” and 1 correct “award” so use them however you want.

One way to see if AD is working is to browse the users in the jive admin console (http://localhost:9090). You should see all the users listed there.

With exodus you’‘ll login with (if you’‘re using Exodus). Make sure that DNS resolves to your domain otherwise you’'ll need to set it manually (the next tab over) by overriding the server and port. When I test, I usually have to set it to localhost or the real address of the server.

Noah

I only see the 2 users I added in the User list. Which leads me to think that AD is not being seen by the Jive Server. Is this what I need to get it setup properly?

the ldap guide?

Hi pmac2,

There should be a documentation directory in your Messenger installation folder that contains the LDAP guide, or you can just view it online url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/messenger/docs/latest/documentation/ldap- guide.htmlhere[/url]. You’‘ll have to edit an xml file, but generally it’'s pretty easy and straighforward to setup.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

thanx for your points Though you dont have to mark at once. You can wait and reward the most valuable answers

I must be an id10t. I add the Groupclassname, Host and baseDN and then I can’‘t log in. For some reason it either doesn’‘t like my passwords (which I haven’‘t changed) or I’‘m editing the wrong locations in the jive-messenger.xml file. Here’'s what it looks like now (notice that the adminDN and adminPassword have changed. … any ideas?

http://www.jivesoftware.org/builds/messenger/docs/latest/documentation/ldap-guid e.html

You read the instructions right? It looks like you made it to the first sample, but didn’'t continue.

You’'ll need to add additional elements in the config that tell Messenger how to find users, what the BaseDN is, etc.

Noah

Hi and thanks Noah.

I was reading the ldap guide and that part in my last post did have an entry for basDN. All the items that had the asterisk, I added entries. I figured that would be at least a good start but for some reason, i can’'t login to the admin console even if I just take away the > < from the ldap example. any other suggestions?

Post your complete ldap configuration (please scrub the password fields with ****).

Thanks,

Noah

Thank you Noah. Below is my config file. Again, the adminDN and adminpassword are empty and no matter if I put something in there. It always shows up just like this.

Thank you for your help!

phil

Okay, I’‘m still having this crazy issue where I can’‘t log into the admin console. here’'s my debug log…

2005.09.19 14:52:58 Created new LdapManager() instance, fields:

2005.09.19 14:52:58 host: jiveserver.mycompany.com

2005.09.19 14:52:58 port: 389

2005.09.19 14:52:58 usernamefield: sAMAccountName

2005.09.19 14:52:58 baseDN: CN=Users,DC=MyCompany,DC=com

2005.09.19 14:52:58 alternateBaseDN: null

2005.09.19 14:52:58 nameField: displayName

2005.09.19 14:52:58 emailField: mail

2005.09.19 14:52:58 adminDN: imadmin

2005.09.19 14:52:58 adminPassword: password

2005.09.19 14:52:58 searchFilter: (sAMAccountName=)
2005.09.19 14:52:58 ldapDebugEnabled: true
2005.09.19 14:52:58 sslEnabled: false
2005.09.19 14:52:58 initialContextFactory: com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory
2005.09.19 14:52:58 connectionPoolEnabled: true
2005.09.19 14:52:58 autoFollowReferrals: false
2005.09.19 14:52:58 groupNameField: cn
2005.09.19 14:52:58 groupMemberField: member
2005.09.19 14:52:58 groupDescriptionField: description
2005.09.19 14:52:58 posixMode: false
2005.09.19 14:52:58 groupSearchFilter: (member=)

2005.09.19 14:53:02 Loading plugin admin

2005.09.19 14:53:10 Loading plugin contentfilter

2005.09.19 14:53:10 Loading plugin registration

2005.09.19 14:53:11 Loading plugin userimportexport

2005.09.19 14:53:26 Trying to find a user’'s DN based on their username. sAMAccountName: imadmin, Base DN: CN=Users,DC=MyCompany,DC=com…

2005.09.19 14:53:26 Creating a DirContext in LdapManager.getContext()…

2005.09.19 14:53:26 Created hashtable with context values, attempting to create context…

2005.09.19 14:53:27 Exception thrown when searching for userDN based on username ‘‘imadmin’’

javax.naming.CommunicationException: jiveserver.mycompany.com:389 Root exception is java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.

Please help. I renamed the original .xml file and the default one works fine the admin ID and the password I created when I installed teh software. As soon as I add the ldap stuff, I can’'t log into with admin or imadmin. Thank you!!!

Phil

It’‘s complaining that there is no ldap directory listening on port 389. I assume you’'re setting up AD so you should point this do your domain control where the AD is installed.

Noah

Noah, you beat me to the punch. I totally wasnt’'t thinking on that. I put the Jive server down as the host and it should have been my domain controller with ldap. I am all squared away now. Thanks!

Message was edited by:

pmac2