powered by Jive Software

New to openfire.. uh oh, errors & logfiles!

Hi All,

Im new to openfire and trying to get a simple server up for me and my friends to use. The box is running Win2K pro, openfire 3.3.2 w/ the internal database and just grabbed the newest JRE. After installation and adding a user via the admin console, I tried logging in with pandeon from a different machine and got a ‘bad password/no user’ type of error. On the adminstration console I observed that a connection was at least attempted by viewing the ‘database query statistics’ area. SELECT Query Statistics went from zero to 1 with the following query: SELECT password, encryptedPassword FROM jiveUser WHERE username=?

Checking the logs i then found the following errors:

2007.08.20 19:23:41 [org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider.getConnection(EmbeddedCon nectionProvider.java:46)

] Error: EmbeddedConnectionProvider.getConnection() wascalled before the internal pool has been initialized.

2007.08.20 19:23:41 [org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManage r.java:95)

] WARNING: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection.

2007.08.20 19:23:41 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:670)

] Database could not be accessed

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:660)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:391)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:148)

followed by many lines of more junk

and this further down:

2007.08.20 19:23:41 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:421)

]

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:671)

Any thoughts about what to try?

thanks a bunch!!

UPDATE: the above errors are preceded by this one:

2007.08.20 21:05:54 [org.jivesoftware.database.ConnectionPool.(ConnectionPool.java:111)

] Failed to create new connections on startup. Attempt 0 of 3

java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@f7cf94a6[file =C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)

at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.(Unknown Source)

I really dont know what other process could be accessing the db… i uninstalled, deleted everythign and reinstalled… same story.

Hi silus, welcome to Ignite Realtime community

The two parts of errors seems to me like they’re not really related. I would say that the first one is safe to ignore, assuming that it happened during the first time setup where no db connection was defined. The second one looks like a real error, implying that there’s already another running instance of openfire.

If I were to troubleshoot, I’d start by killing all running openfire processes:

  • Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to open Windows Task Manager (not sure if this works for Win2K).

  • Kill visible openfire processes and all java processes (this is easy to spot if you’re not running any other java application).

  • Delete C:\Program Files\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck if it’s there.

  • Remove all openfire log files, so that you don’t get confused how the lines relate to each other.

  • Finally start openfire.

If that doesn’t work, print the fresh error.log here again.

The “bad password/no user” problem probably relates to config mismatch between openfire and Pandeon. We shall see about this later.

Yay! Its working. I deleted the .lck file… turns out I was running openfire-service from the command line simulateously with the graphical version and that was bungling things. Pandeon still had the same errors tho, bad password / no user… So i grabbed spark and that worked first time! So im going to just switch over I guess. Any thoughts on why pandeon wouldnt like it (perhaps the wrong forum to ask! haha)? I tried various combos on pandeon of requiring or not requiring encryption… Thing is, I have people that want to use my server who use pandeon and i dont want to listen to them groan about switching if they dont want to.

Thanks for the help!! Now to tinker…

The bad pass/no user problem is very common especially when you run openfire on a LAN or without a resolvable xmpp.server name. It doen’t make much difference whether you’re running Spark, Pandeon, etc. An infamous place you normally need to start troubleshooting is the client’s login screen/info. First, when you speficy your login id, it must be in the form that the server part is the same as openfire xmpp.server name. For example, if your xmpp.server name is examplehost your login id has to be carn2fex@examplehost although examplehost is not resolvable. Then set your client not to resolve the name but to connect directly to the server’s ip address.

What I noticed when taking the steps above is that on your server, the Openfire serve only needs to be run as a service. I have the service running when the server starts but when I put the openfire server icon in the start up folder, so I was getting pretty much the same error as you were because I was running it twice- or trying to.

I realized that I can sign into the web based admin console without having to start up the openfire server window (the one that says “stop” , “launch admin console” and “quit.”

Ya I’m a a newbie.