New user in need of help

I’m pretty new to Openfire as well as all chat servers, and I have a few questions.

What is a JID and how do you assign one to a user?

and

Do you need to use an external database to have a way to add users besides in the administration panel?

Thanks

Daniel

A JID is a Jabber ID, the Jabber address of a user composed of username@host.domain. When you create a new user you choose the user name, the host.domain part is defined when you setup Openfire.

Whether you use an external or the internal database users can also register with their clients to create a new account (unless you disable this feature).

Hi Stefan,

I think that “Whether you use an external or the internal database users can also register with their clients to create a new account (unless you disable this feature).” is not right. The “external database” connectors are as far as I know read-only and thus only the default database allows user registration using a client.

There is also a plugins for public or private registration using HTTP: WebReg (advanced webinterface plugin).

LG

Depends on how you define “external” database I guess. I thought of MySQL/Oracle/… vs. the build-in HSQLDB.

I think I get it now Thanks for your help!