New User Questions

Hi there.

I am a new user of OpenFire, and I have 2 questions.

1. I see it logs jabber conversations in xml in /opt/openfire/logs/, is there a way to have it just log in plain text, or is there a plugin to read that better?

2. Is there a way to automatically create everyone’s buddy list for them every day or something with all the users on the jabber server and what group they are in? This is an internal jabber server and will only have internal contacts.

Hey optize,

1. I see it logs jabber conversations in xml in /opt/openfire/logs/, is there a way to have it just log in plain text, or is there a plugin to read that better?

There used to be a plugin that was able to read the XML file but I’m not sure if that plugin is still being maintained (i.e. I don’t think so). I’m not trying to sell you anything but if you need a more advanced conversation archiving then you may want to give a try to the Enterprise edition.

1. Is there a way to automatically create everyone’s buddy list for them every day or something with all the users on the jabber server and what group they are in? This is an internal jabber server and will only have internal contacts.

Have you checked out the shared groups feature? You can pre-populate users rosters from the server. Just create the groups that you want and configure them to be visible to 1) everyone, 2) just group members or 3) group members and other groups. You may even combine this feature with the registration plugin that automatically adds newly created users to a group.

Regards,

– Gato

Nice! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

I found one more problem now though – when I delete users from the admin section, everyone gets a message to their jabber client that says this user has been removed.

Is there a way to send silent remove contact messages?

Hey optize,

When removing a user from a group, clients need to be updated. It is up to each client (i.e. depends on the XMPP client you are using) how to react to that event. For instance, Spark will just silently remove the user from your roster. May be your client lets you customize it to avoid the extra notification?

Regards,

– Gato