New WebChat servlet

Hey all,

We’'ve created a chat servlet using Smack. It lets you connect to a group chat room and uses only HTML and Javascript on the client side. To use it, visit:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/webchat

You’‘ll need to use either IE 5 or above, or Netscape 4.x. Mozilla support is broken at the moment, but we’'ll get that fixed soon.

You’‘ll need an account on our XMPP server to login. The easiest way to create an account is to use a standard XMPP/Jabber client, then create an account on the jivesoftware.com server. After you’'ve created an account, you should be able to login and start using the webchat.

A few cool features are included at this point:

• HTML is filtered out for security.

• User names appear in different colors.

• Text emoticons are converted into images.

• Any URLs typed into the chat window are displayed as clickable links.

Additional features coming soon:

• Ability to create an account.

• Display list of users in the chat room.

We’'ll also be releasing the full source after a few more issues are worked out.

Regards,

Matt

Very Cool!

Yes, Very Cool!>

FYI, when hitting “reply”, where it’'s supposed to show the message that you are replying to, it just shows the word “null” for the content…

Message was edited by: insurgent at Apr 17, 2003 9:56 AM

Is it possibile to have a test account?

Thanks

Marco

I’‘ve registered an account… it’'s nice!

I have some questions: can you estimate how many user can chat on a single processor server?

Regards,

Marco

Marco,

We’‘re not quite sure since we haven’'t tested this yet. However, I would think that it should be able to handle at least a few hundred per server or more.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

thanks for the reply, is it possible to chat in the same chat room with the client and through web?

When do you expect to release the web chat?

Thanks,

Marco

Marco,

thanks for the reply, is it possible to chat in the

same chat room with the client and through web?

Yep, this works well. In fact, I’'ll try to stay connected to the chat room all day (through Exodus) if anybody is interested in trying it out.

When do you expect to release the web chat?

It still needs to be polished up a bit before releasing, but it should be out in the next week or two.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

any news on the release of the web chat?

Thanks,

Marco

Up!

Any news?

Marco