Newbie Openfire questions

I have been running a jabberd2 server but I an just learning about Openfire. I am considering moving to Openfire and want to learn how to setup Openfire to have some of the same fuctionality as my old jabberd2 server. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or tell me where I can find some Openfire documentation that might help. I am running AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ transports on jabberd2. How can I move the transport user data into Openfire? Where is the transport use data stored in Openfire and in what format? I am using the Monitoring Service Plugin to archive group chat room conversations. How can I export the chat room archives so that chat users can see them? How do remove the messages in chat rooms that say “user has joined” and “user has left” when someone joins or leaves the room? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or tell me where I can find some Openfire documentation that might help.

Forums, wiki documents, http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/documentation.jsp

I am running AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ transports on jabberd2. How can I move the transport user data into Openfire? Where is the transport use data stored in Openfire and in what format?

You can use Kraken plugin (former IM Gateway) to run these transports http://kraken.blathersource.org/ . Also you can use some other transports like PyICQt and similar. I dont know how exactly you may move transport user data. There is no import button for sure. So, you will have to export it from your database or other user data storage and insert in a proper form into Openfire database. This is in case Kraken is in use. Dont know how it works with the other transports. I think you should ask about this and data format on Kraken forums.

How can I export the chat room archives so that chat users can see them?

As i recall (can’t install this plugin here) there should be export to PDF button somewhere on Monitoring plugin pages.

How do remove the messages in chat rooms that say “user has joined” and “user has left” when someone joins or leaves the room?

Do you mean to remove them in the chat logs or in the client (like Spark)? Latest Spark version can hide these messages. Openfire probably is storing them and there is no option.

wroot, thank you so much for your hekpfull reply. I will post my transport questtions to the Kraken forums.

As for Monitoring Service plugin, I did see where I can view a chat room log as a pdf file and then save it. However, I do not see a list of chat room logs. I have to search the logs for an individual user and then I can see a list of rooms that the use has participated in and display that chat room log. This is in the Archiving tab in the Openfire Admin Console BTW. Searching for and manually saving chat room log files this way would be way to much overhead. Is there a way to see a list of chat room logs without searching for individual users? Anyone know if there is a way to save the chat room logs files automatically so they could be posted to or displayed on a web page in real time?

As for the “user has joined” and “user has left” messages I neglected to mention that I was talking about removing these messages in SparkWeb conference rooms. Is there a way to remove them in SparkWeb?

Monitoring Service was created mainly for the collecting and it has very few options of information visualization. So, i’m afraid there is no way to achive what you want with that plugin. You will have to program something additionally.

SparkWeb doesnt have an option to hide those messages. I can file a ticket - SW-81. But SparkWeb development is dead for now. You can try asking in Red5 sub forum. Maybe Dele will create something for his red5 SparkWeb version.

wroot, thanks for filing the ticket. Is it disapointing that SparkWeb development is dead. I would like to see one good open source (or commercial) jabber web client that is under serious develpment. I have another newbie question, is there still an Enterprise version of Openfire or is the former Enterprise version now the open source version? Thanks in advance.

No, Enterprise is no longer available and all its features were released as separate open source plugins, except for the clustering support, as it was based on a commercial product.