News feed unavailable after upgrade to 4.8.0

Okay, now that was unexpected: it turned out that LC_CTYPE was the actual culprit! :astonished:

It appears that at least on my system, any “not English compatible” setting of LC_CTYPE breaks the RSS parsing. So, for example, all of C, POSIX, en_US.utf8, en_GB.utf8 and en_AU.utf8 work fine (I didn’t bother to try all of the ~20 or so available en_* variants), while de, de_DE.utf8 and de_AT.utf8 (my actual setting) all break. :man_shrugging: @guus Just for kicks, I also tried nl_NL.utf8, and that also breaks, so I’m wondering about your “similar setup, but with Dutch locales” that you mentioned in a previous comment. :wink:

As a workaround, I now override my default LC_CTYPE setting with export LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8" in /etc/init.d/openfired, and that’s that.

Feel free to close the corresponding ticket if you don’t want to dive any deeper into the scary depths of localization. :slight_smile: Thanks for your help & patience, and sorry for the noise. :blush: :innocent:

Thanks for figuring this out. My locales were similar, but did not have a Dutch one for LC_CTYPE…

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_TIME=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_NAME=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=nl_NL.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

The workaround is appreciated, but this should work out of the box. We’ll continue to look at a fix.

1 Like

I believe that I’ve fixed this problem in OF-2775: Ensure that RSS dates are parsed in English locale by guusdk · Pull Request #2389 · igniterealtime/Openfire · GitHub

… and because @danc is looking, I added a unit test. :slight_smile:

1 Like