No ACK was received when sending stanza to: org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection@1a3bff5 MINA Session

Hey Everyone,

Have been using OpenFire with no issues for nearly a year now and now this one has got me stumped.

Little background…

Server is running on openSuSE 11.1 in VMware ESX Cluster. Last time this worked was just before the server got wedged during a backup routine. Server had very high utilization and was unresponsive…so was hard rebooted. All services on the box fire up as they should. Admin console is running for Openfire and I can see all the respective ports open and listening for the XMPP services.

When a client attempts to connect, they get stuck at “connecting” as far as the client is concerned.

In the server logs you see:

No ACK was received when sending stanza to: org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection@1a3bff5 MINA Session

Things I’ve done to troubleshoot:

Completely removed the openfire folder and all files… replaced from distribution archive.

Dropped the catalog from mySQL.

Run the openfire install and added my one user back to the system.

Regenerated the self-signed certs.

Confirmed there are no firewall or iptables entries… default policy is to accept.

Where I am now:

Right back where I started. Really weird.

Hoping you can offer some suggestions as to what might cause this behavior.

Thank You

Is there any other information I could dump out of the system that would help in examining this issue?

Fixed this on Friday.

I reverted to jre-1.5.0 from jre-1.6.0. I could probably have done this by adjusting some symbolic links but I decided I wanted to go through the destructive process of removing jre-1.6.0-openjdk-1.2.

The server began responding and allowing logins shortly afterwards.

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Thanks, this was helpful. Apparently, versions of the JRE matter as well. On an OpenSUSE 11.0 box, I needed to run java-1_6_0-openjdk 1.2_b09-9.1 with java-1_5_0-sun 1.5.0_update22-0.1 for connections to work properly.