powered by Jive Software

Non-western characters in username?

Hi. I seem to be unable to use Arabic characters in usernames. I’‘ve tried three clients. Two of them (Gaim 1.5.0, Spark 1.02) let me register (trough inband registration) the name, but won’‘t let me connect (authentication failure). No luck either when I create the user through the webadmin interface (again, I am able to register, but not to authenticate). To be clear: I can send Arabic characters in messages, but I’'m unable to login with a name containing them.

My setup: Wildfire 2.4.0 (compiled source from SVN, yesterday) running on Ubuntu 5.10. Using a Postgresql 8.0 database. The arabic name I was trying is داىز

I’'m guessing that this log entry (in Warn.log) is related:

2005.12.20 08:55:17 SaslException

javax.security.sasl.SaslException:

DIGEST-MD5: IO error acquiring password [Caused by java.io.IOException:

org.jivesoftware.wildfire.user.UserNotFoundException: داىز]

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.validateClientResponse(DigestMD5Se rver.java:577)

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.evaluateResponse(DigestMD5Server.j ava:226)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SASLAuthentication.doHandshake(SASLAuthentication .java:187)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.authenticateClient(SocketReader.java :312)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:269)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:118)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: org.jivesoftware.wildfire.user.UserNotFoundException: داىز

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.XMPPCallbackHandler.handle(XMPPCallbackHandler.ja va:69)

at com.sun.security.sasl.digest.DigestMD5Server.validateClientResponse(DigestMD5Se rver.java:568)

… 6 more[/code]

Update: Hmm, arabic characters are being escaped by the forum. Oh well.

Message was edited by:

Guus

Guus,

Thanks for the bug report! I’'ve filed this as JM-497.

-Matt