Noob friendly guide to set up Audio/Video support in openfire?

Is there an idiot proof guide to setting up Openfire with video/audio support? Setting up Openfire is such a breeze even for a noob like me… But getting audio/Video to work seem like dark arts. I set up a openfire server for fun and now my family uses it regularly. I’d like audio/Video to work. I keep reading about jingle but I don’t have the slightest idea how to set it up or get it to work.

Jingle does not need Openfire server to work. It is peer to peer.

You need a client that supports jingle audio/video like Jitsi and maybe jingle nodes plugin for openfire to act a media proxy when you clients cannot connect directly with each other.

Dele Olajide wrote:

Jingle does not need Openfire server to work. It is peer to peer.

You need a client that supports jingle audio/video like Jitsi and maybe jingle nodes plugin for openfire to act a media proxy when you clients cannot connect directly with each other.

Internet is ripe with vague replies like this one. And those are not helping anyone as it’s still not clear before and aftre reading them what configuration has to be set up, as even with Jitsi and Jingle nodes plugin set up, STUN configured and ports translated still there is no audio/video. And no one rushes to provide specifics.

Yeah, I didn’t get a word of that. One of the reasons I was able to get openfire working so easily were the marvelously simple steps. Is there a tutorial for idiots like me?

Same impression: setup was a breeze, which is a huge achievement by the OF dev team - kudos!

But everything voice related sounds like a conspiracy.

And the internet is also full of people demanding for specific answers to vague and generic questions.

Why don’t you just do as suggested. If you run into issues, then post specific questions with extracts from your log files.

In case you have not noticed, there is no OF dev team. We are all OF users helping each other to make this work. Nobody is paid to answer anyone’s questions. If you don’t like OF, get yourself a commercial product with paid telephone support.

Yowlza! I only asked for help. I already have working app that handles video very well. Its free and is called Skype. This openfire thing is just a hobby. Good day.

Yowlza! I only asked for help

And when you got it, it was not good enough for you.

What a way to make my 1000th post

I didn’t understand a word of it. How could I judge its merit? And when I told you I’m stupid, you basically told me to sod off. Good work.

1. Go and install Jitsi client from www.jitsi.org

2. Install jingle-nodes plugin for openfire.

3. From Jitsi client, look for your contact, right click and make phone call like you would in Skype

Step 2 is optional. You only need it because sometimes your home broadband network router can block audio/video calls directly between two people. It does the same magic Skypes does to get round the problem

Unlike your free Skype, Jitsi will let you make a video or audio conference call with all members of your family

Please don’t thank me. My answer is very vague and does not merit it.

Dele Olajide wrote:

And the internet is also full of people demanding for specific answers to vague and generic questions.

Why don’t you just do as suggested. If you run into issues, then post specific questions with extracts from your log files.

In case you have not noticed, there is no OF dev team. We are all OF users helping each other to make this work. Nobody is paid to answer anyone’s questions. If you don’t like OF, get yourself a commercial product with paid telephone support.

This is not true. My questions were very specific in this thread:

what ports on which hosts have to be translated and in what direction. Did you bother to provide an answer? No, instead you are lecturing us as to how we should telepatically guesswork configuration out of your replies.

I did go out and installed Jitsi as you suggested. It does not work with Openfire and Jingle nodes plugin. Something is amiss but specifics are such a nuicance!

I did go out and installed Jitsi as you suggested. It does not work with Openfire

very specific indeed

Something is amiss but specifics are such a nuicance!

And I am supposed to telelepatically guess what is your desktop, OS, network configuration, home router type and firewall configuartion, broadband provider and also look and the log files you have **not **provided to give you an answer.

I am in a good mood tonight, otherwise I would have terminated this conversation ages ago

There is nothing more amuusing than lazy bullies trying to muscle their way through. You are still missing the point. Nobody here is paid to do this. We do it for various personal reasons and need each other as a community to make it work. Not unkind and unhelpful words that put people off after a very long tiring day job.

Bullying accusation is astonishing, as all we are doing here is asking questions about what your software requires to work. If such questions frighten, frustrate and depress you so much, why did you engage in software development? The users are mean! I know because I develop commercial software products for over 20 years now and every morning I am dreading going back to the office where I will have to take full responsibility for the results of my work. There is no responsibility in Open Source: you write, compile and distribute it to the world if it compiles. But I digress…

We do not have telepathic abilitied and thus did not know you required those bits of information. You never asked for them so I personally was just waiting for any guidance beyond ‘Install Jitsi’. Now we are talking!

OS is Windows 7 64 in OpenFire box and any combination of Windows 7, XP or Linux on the machines with Jitsi clients.

Network configuration is a very broad term. In my particular case, and I believe I mentioned that several times in the past, Openfire box is behind Zeroshell soft router with no firewall.

I did also mention in the past that ports 5222, 3478/3479, 10000-20000 and 7777 are translated to the OF machine.

Broadband providers for the LAN where OpenFire is installed is AEI and Tek Savvy. Not sure how that helps but for what it’s worth. I have no idea what are the providers for the client machines.

What specific log files do you need to see? Do you want OpenFire logs or Jitsi logs or Windows logs. As far as Open Fire I don’t even know how to obtain them for you.

I know full well that you are not getting paid, but you for some reason were inspired to write a piece of software, put it on the Internet and go out to other web sites advertizing it as XMPP chat server that supports voice and video - and we swallowed it, bait, hook and sinker. And thus we are trying to get some value for the time we spent downloading, installing and trying to configure that software. Do you prefer us to just try it and quietly go away if it did not work? Any time!

We too are not getting paid a penny for doing that. In the same boat as you.

But I digress again: to recap, I had no way of knowing that you have been reading my posts and did not respond because my posts were missing important for you bits of information. In one-way communication it is impossible to figure out what other side needs, if that side is not responding, like you. Finally you said that you were missing info and I provided it, or at least I believe I did.