Notifications about points

I have already suggested this some time ago in the Forums. As long as email notifications about PMs. Latter is working already, so maybe notifications about points given to you could be added? Sometimes people just give points without saying anything. Could be more fun to know what answers were helpful and to see how your points bar is growing And maybe there could be some notification about your watched threads. If watched thread is marked as answered you get an email (unless you cant mark it answered without making a comment). Just like with JIRA issues (updated, closed, etc.)

It seems that PM notofications are half broken. I do get notify if i send a PM to myself. But most of the time it doesnt notify me about PMs that others send to me.

Hi Oleg,

as points are no longer visible as points and you have only an orange status icon with two white holes I wonder if you really want to get an information about one who did throw some points in one of the holes.

Having said this I did wonder why you post replies to your own thread instead of using edit. Do you get points for posting new threads?

By the way, I did notice a very round number starting with 4 and ending with 000 on http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/people/it2000?view=profile :

LG

You can see points here http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/people?view=status

There is still a safe gap between me and Aznidin

If i was getting points for every new thread, i would be at the first place already No, it’s just the way i used to, i usually make a reply, than editing the first post. Sometimes it looks to me that it’s good to have whole “story”, than one post edited n times.

Hey! It seems that i’m do getting points per reply My points were 659 before i posted previous reply. Now it’s 660. There is only 4 and 2 points awards though. Mm… but i remember some thread of you, where you were offering different amounts of points. Maybe there is some trick here.

661…

this could be very addictive

wroot wrote:

You can see points here http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/people?view=status

There is still a safe gap between me and Aznidin

Irks!!! You are way too safe now. You obtained your score based on 5-10 point system. It’s 2-4 after the migration. That means I need to triple the effort to catch up! Hmm… No wonder you’re bragging much more now than before X-(. Dawn, this is unfair!!!

Hi Aznidin,

as you ge one point for each reply you may want to reply to every post with a useless response eg, this will bring you ahead of Oleg very soon.

LG

Keep in mind that I can re-configure the point system at any time

I’ll probably do a little fine-tuning on how many points are awarded for different activities.

I think I’ll write a script that loops > 4000 times, so that I could catch up with you LG . By the time Dawn discover this, she will change the point system but she won’t change the score.

@Dawn

It’s best to keep 5-10 system. Otherwise, logically you’ll need to change the score proportionately.

Giving 1 point for every post is good, it keeps Oleg active

Hi Aznidin,

hey, right. I like the idea while I think that you need to wait 30 seconds between every post, so this will take some time. As there is a Testing General forum you could test your script there (:

LG

OK, we’re back to a 5-10 pt system (5 for helpful, 10 for correct answers).

I’ll leave the 1 pt per reply for now (unless I start seeing crazy point gaming behavior)

As i said in PM, i think 1 point could be awarded only for a first reply (first by a user, not first in a thread). and i shouldnt get any points for replying in my own thread

And about the topic of this thread. Notifications could be only about points given for helpful and correct answers.

P.S. and again about PMs notifications. Dawn, i did get an email about your message, but i didnt get it about Aznidins private message.

dawn wrote:

OK, we’re back to a 5-10 pt system (5 for helpful, 10 for correct answers).

I’ll leave the 1 pt per reply for now (unless I start seeing crazy point gaming behavior)

Watch out Dawn, somebody is turning…

I didn’t get Oleg’s PM notification either. The “Your Stuff” icon turning orange (this is good but not sufficient). There should be an email notification.

@Dawn

BTW, I like this tweaking thing on points, but I couldn’t see it available in Clearspace distro except in the questions.helpfulAnswersPerThread property. Are you doing the tweakening with some kind of interceptor, macro, plugin, or the like? If so is it downloadable?

The tweaking of points is done within the Clearspace admin console. Navigate to People -> Settings -> Status Level Settings. Most settings can be configured in the admin console.

I’m going to have someone look into the issues with notification for private messages to see what’s happening with email notification.

Hi Dawn,

I’m seeing a crazy point gaming behavior just within this thread. There are some users which use this thread to get one point after the other, and these are (in random order): wroot, dawn and aznidin.

Now that you are back to 10 points for right answers aznidin needs only a 2nd nick like aznidinsShadow to post 400 questions, reply to the questions and make the 2nd nick mark all answers as right to get 4400 points … what a Scary Community.

LG

We’ve tracked down the issues with private message notification. A private message notification is only sent if the recipient has set their email to be visible, which is a bug and will be fixed as part of 1.6.

We won’t be able to upgrade to 1.6 for another 4-5 weeks (it’s still in development). Your options for now, are to make your email visible or live without private messages until we upgrade to 1.6.