Novice questions for setting up new Wildfire server using LDAP

I have tried every variable for JID I can think of, eric, eric@cu.net, eric@magicwww.cu.net. I have also tried every varibale for host name also, cu.net, magicwww.cu.net.

As for the LCS database, it is does not read a local databse but is using AD to authenticate. This evening I am going to try turning off LCS and try starting wildfire and see if I get the same error. If I do not get the error then I will know that LCS is blocking Wildfire from connecting to AD. I hope.

something else to look at too. what ports does LCS use to connect to the AD LDAP…

Jeff

If you have no other Java process running try killing any java process that will do, have a question for you when you install you configure ldap on wildfire and the try to login to config or you change the config or you config wildfire first and then try to change to ldpa, if so my suggestion is uninstall and reinstall wildfire, before try to enter the console change your wildfire.xlm to ldap and then try to login on the console to start configure. That is one things that happend to me on this instalation i have previus install and config wildfire and set it up with mysql just to see it work, then when i try to change to ldap, it did not start no matter what i did, so since my installation is a clean new server i just uninstalled and install from scrach, did not config, setup the ldap config on wildfire with the adminUser line, and enter to the console finish my configuration with no problem to login with users. But i have some proble with password issue but that is anothe thing. So good luck and hope this info is usefull

I am stuck. Everyone has been so helpful with their suggestions but nothing seems to work. For some reason my instincts tell me the problem is gonna end up being one minor mistake in the xml file, but what that might be I have no clue. I have rebooted the server, reinstalled wildfire, started the xml file from scratch, created new groups and accounts. Nothing is helping. Here is my latest xml file if anyone has anymore suggestions.

/i

Message was edited by: eangwin

Well I don’'t think it is the syntax in the xml file thats the problem. A co-worker give me the following link for a site that will check the xml for errors and it shows being correct. The link is http://www.xml.com/pub/a/tools/ruwf/check.html

Maybe the problem is in my permissions or how I am writing the structure.

Change the cn= for spark and users to ou=

Don’‘t know if that will fix it or not, but we’‘re beginning to get into the finite details i.e. it’'s something more than just the obvious.

Jeff

I changed the cn’‘s to ou’'s as you suggested, unfortunately no luck. I double checked in the ADSI editor on my DC and those are shown as CN.

Message was edited by: eangwin

is administrator an account or a container?

That’‘s odd that you have two cn’‘s and no ou’'s, or atleast it is in my config…

also, I see eric@cu.net but the server is magicwww.cu.net, wondering if the names should be the same (eric@magicwww.cu.net)

ALso, silly question but needing to ask, this is a DNS resolvable name right and the magicwww server is a dc?

Jeff

Message was edited by: jeff_garner

Administrator under the Users tree is an account.

I updated to eric@magicwww.cu.net

Still in the same sinking boat.

Magicwww is DNS resolvable, I did an nslookup on the wildfire server to be sure, and magicwww is a DC.

One thing I have noticed. In the xml file I have the ldapdebugenabled true statement, but when I look at the debug log, it shows as false.

I don’‘t have that tag in my file. all of my errors are captured in plain debug. I am sure it makes no difference wither way… Working now, so can’'t sit and stare at your confgi at the moment. Let me look again after I get home tonight and I will see if I find that trailing space or , instead of . you did say though that a plain config file works right?

Jeff

I have not been able to get wildfire to allow me to login at all using ldap or AD. I was able to setup a “normal” wildfire server using a standard setup on this box. Also, we currently are running wildfire on another box which we are currently using throughout most of the company, but to offically replace LCS with wildfire we need AD authentication instead of wildfire created authentication.

Well we finally got it figured out. Here is the one line that had to be different.

We are not sure why, but once we made that change things started happening.

So we were finally able to log into Wildfire using LDAP with AD. We then had to configure it to get users showing up correctly, so we configured a search filter. Next we needed to break those users down into groups to be displayed on the rosters, so we configured the group search filter. Our final challenge was, since we were using sAMAccountName instead of displayname the name that showed up in the roster was their username, not thier full name. We changed sAMAccountName back to DisplayName and everything continued to work and the names appeared as their full names instead of the usernames. It is our guess that without the search filter you need to use sAMAccountName and with the search filter you can use DisplayName. We did not test this theory but it seems the most logical solution to us.

I would like to thank everyone here for their help. I have some configuring of the groups to complete, a couple of days of testing, and within the next couple of weeks we will be going live with Wildfire/Spark which will be replacing LCS.