NullPointerException when running AdminConsole

Hello everyone!

After checking out tagged version 3.4.2 and building the project as described in a community document I can set up Openfire chat server. After successfully setting it up I get I NullPointerVersion when logging in to the admin console. I stepped into the code and found out that

the variable

generatedModel

is null in line 119 of

Element appName = (Element)generatedModel.selectSingleNode("//adminconsole/global/appname");

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AdminConsole.getAppName(AdminConsole.java:119)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:163)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)

at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:39)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)

at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:41)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)

at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)

at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:712)

at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)

at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)

at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:506)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.j ava:830)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)

at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:381)

at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:396)

at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)

Setting up the Openfire release with the same data base connection fully works. Has someone any idea? Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Lars

Sorry, I meant NullPointerException

Because of the problem I cannot debug Openfire since I want to develop a plugin.

In AdminConsole.java I found:

private static void load() {
        // Load the core model as the admin-sidebar.xml file from the classpath.
        InputStream in = ClassUtils.getResourceAsStream("/admin-sidebar.xml");
        if (in == null) {
            Log.error("Failed to load admin-sidebar.xml file from Openfire classes - admin "
                    + "console will not work correctly.");
            return;
        }

Here, the input stream is null because the resource admin-sidebar.xml could not be found. Where does it have to be located?

Mhm, the file is contained within the archive “target\openfire\lib\openfire.jar” in its root directory. Why is the resource not found? I did use the build script to build the target before…

I used a workaround the bypass this issue. In the method load( ) of class AdminConsole you can change the path of the resource to be loaded to a file in the file system. I don’t know why the resource cannot be located in the jar file…