NullPointerException when using search plugin

When I send this packet to JM:

from server.

Also this message appears in error.log:

2005.07.29 16:50:38 org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapUserProvider.findUsers(LdapUserProvider.java :342)

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.ldap.LdapUserProvider.findUsers(LdapUserProvider.jav a:329)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.user.UserManager.findUsers(UserManager.java:235)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processSetPacket(SearchPlugin.ja va:285)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.handleIQ(SearchPlugin.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processPacket(SearchPlugin.java: 191)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.component.InternalComponentManager$RoutableComponent .process(InternalComponentManager.java:342)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java:43)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:230)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:111)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

PS. JM 2005-07-27, using ldap.

Hi Zenith,

Thanks for the bug report. I just found out this morning that I have access to an LDAP server, so I should be able to reproduce NullPointerException and see what I can do to fix it. I’'ll let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Ryan

I’'ll let you know what I find.

Did you find something ?

BTW, another message also appears in error.log:

2005.08.02 08:36:20 org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:271) Could not route packet

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.replyDataFormResult(SearchPlugin .java:386)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processSetPacket(SearchPlugin.ja va:302)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.handleIQ(SearchPlugin.java:242)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.plugin.SearchPlugin.processPacket(SearchPlugin.java: 191)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.component.InternalComponentManager$RoutableComponent .process(InternalComponentManager.java:342)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:73)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.PacketRouter.route(PacketRouter.java:65)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.processIQ(SocketReader.java:258)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.ClientSocketReader.processIQ(ClientSocketReader. java:43)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.readStream(SocketReader.java:230)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:111)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi Zenith,

I’'ll let you know what I find.

Did you find something ?

I haven’‘t forgotten about you. I’'m still waiting on being given the proper permissions to allow me to navigate the LDAP/AD; as soon as I can access the server I can start looking into the problem.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Zenith,

I managed to get connected to our AD server but I’‘m not seeing the same error(s) that you are with either Psi or Exodus. How many users are in your directory? I’‘m wondering if the result query is too large Messenger isn’'t able to handle it.

Thanks,

Ryan

How many users are in your directory?

I have 144 users in my OpenLDAP server. But I think it doesn’‘t matter, because NullPointer occurs even when I’'m trying to use filter ‘‘zenit*’’ (but filter ‘‘zenith’’ works properly). May be this problem is specific for OpenLDAP? Here is my config (ldap section):

<groupSearchFilter>(memberUid=)

BTW, with JM 2.2.0 Beta 2 I had all working fine.

Hi Zenith

May be this problem is specific for OpenLDAP?

It seems like it might be. I did a bit of digging through the OpenLDAP docs and it appears the “*” character is a valid wildcard symbol so I’‘m not entirely sure why your searches with that character are failing. Matt wrote most (all?) of the LDAP code that the search plugin uses and I’‘m not sure what he used for development, OpenLDAP or AD, I can ask him about that if he’‘s at today’'s developer talk.

I have a copy of OSX Server which uses OpenLDAP which I can try and get running in the next couple of days to see if I can reproduce the problem. Again, I’'ll let you know if I find something.

BTW, with JM 2.2.0 Beta 2 I had all working fine.

Are you saying the search works fine with that version of Messenger?

Thanks,

Ryan

Are you saying the search works fine with that version of Messenger?

Yes. The search works fine with JM 2.2.0 Beta 1 and 2.

Are you saying the search works fine with that

version of Messenger?

Yes. The search works fine with JM 2.2.0 Beta 1 and 2.

Strange, nothing in the class (LdapUserProvider) that was throwing the exception has changed since late April.

Thanks,

Ryan