Odd connection error

We had to restart the server that our Openfire 3.4.3 installation is running on over the weekend. This morning, I found that I could not get logged into the server, but everyone else appears to be fine. I tried deleting and reconfiguring my client, and using another client, and nothing worked. I got no error messages, but I remain offline, both to other users and to the admin panel.

Looking at the logs, I found this every time i made a login attempt:

2008.02.18 09:55:44 org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateHa ndler.java:162) Internal server error. Triggered by packet:

<presence from="rob.wynne@talk.america.net/Home">

<priority>1</priority>

<c xmlns=“http://jabber.org/protocol/caps” node=“http://pidgin.im/caps” ver=“2.2.1” ext=“mood moodn nick nickn tune tunen avatarmeta avatardata avatar”/>

</presence>

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal JID: system_administrators

at org.xmpp.packet.JID.init(JID.java:394)

at org.xmpp.packet.JID.<init>(JID.java:229)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterItemProvider.getItems(RosterItemProvider .java:277)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:109)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.RosterManager.getRoster(RosterManager.java:85)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.broadcastUpdate(Presenc eUpdateHandler.java:280)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:122)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:110)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.PresenceUpdateHandler.process(PresenceUpdateH andler.java:174)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.handle(PresenceRouter.java:133)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.PresenceRouter.route(PresenceRouter.java:69)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:75)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processPresence(StanzaHandler.java: 321)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processPresence(ClientStanzaH andler.java:84)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:245)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:167)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:173)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 885)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)

at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Caused by: org.jivesoftware.stringprep.IDNAException: Contains non-LDH characters.

at org.jivesoftware.stringprep.IDNA.toASCII(IDNA.java:106)

at org.jivesoftware.stringprep.IDNA.toASCII(IDNA.java:53)

at org.xmpp.packet.JID.init(JID.java:365)

… 31 more

system_administrators is a defined group. I tried deleting and re-adding it, and removing myself from it. I still get the error. It doesn’t seem to be defined anywhere in my client.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Rob,

I don’t see how could that stop you from logging in. However, the invalid JID lives in the jiveRoster table. The value system_administrators with no @ is interpreted as a domain and domains cannot have an underscore. Stop the server and fix the database.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks. I’ll give that a try and see if that fixes it. I knew it had to be in the database somewhere, but I wasn’t sure where to begin looking.

So would you amend the record to be some_thing@server.com.

I have shared groups that come from mysql and some of the usernames have a “_” so for them I would just tag the @server.com onto the end and it would be happy with that?

Cheers