We are on OF 3.8.2, Spark 2.8.1.
We are authenticating our users through Zimbra server (Only users are being authenticated, Groups are created manually in DB and not updated from LDAP).
We wanted to move the authentication from Zimbra to Office365. This has been completed and server is able to use O365 now.
BUT there is an intermittent issue, where some users are unable to see their profile (Groups, users, vcards etc) while other has no issue at all.
The Spark client signs in but nothing is visible.
We ran few tests and every time result is different. In those tests we removed local profile directory. For some users it worked for one time, for some it didin’t work at all.
Another test we ran that when Spark fails to load the profile, We logged into the OF admin panel and tried to view the Users/Groups page. It took a while to load all users but when it does the Spark started showing the user’s profile (We had to re-login in spark client of course).
The situation is fuzzy and i am unable to pin point the exact issue.
I didn’t find any relevant entries in logs as well.
Need your expert advice here please.