Offline File Storage

Hello,

First, excellent work and thanks to all those involved in this project including the plug in authors, gaim dev’'s and all the folks who help in the community.

We are evaluating a move from Sonork IM systems http://www.sonork.com/ to Wildfire/Gaim or a Skype solution.

As both wildfire/gaim and skype have their own strengths and weaknesses, I have only this one remaining issue to make the switch to wildfire w/o hesitation. We are a group of about 30 users located in many time zones and will all be using linux desktop as our operating system by end of year. We evaluated Wildfire2.6.2/Gaim 1.5 on mixed windows/linux clients and we are very pleased with the results.

I have searched the forms with the above key words as well as looked at

IM File Transfer Made Easy

Feb 7, 2006

by Matt Tucker

But I have not found a solution for us to send files to each other using wildfire while other members are offline. Perhaps someone can offer a solultion or a Feature request that would allow the files to be stored on the wildfire server…either filesystem, HSQL Database Engine or mysql database.

I know I can set up alternatives for the file transfers, but we want to keep that function w/i the messeging system.

Secondly…I was looking for links to donate, as i like to try to support the best we can for the oss software we use…is the only choice to purchase a support plan?

Thank you.

Hi Paul,

This sounds similar to the message offline store, but for files this is not implemented.

I wonder if someone would like to sponsor the development of an offline file transfer plugin instead of simply donating some peanuts So Matt Tucker would be the right one to ask, you may send him a private message.

LG

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. Your request has been discussed a few times before and it looks to be quite useful for collaboration environments. The idea is to be able to upload files to a service running on the server so that it can be shared with other users. Users may get notifications when a file has been updated, deleted or added.

Besides getting commercial support you can also sponsor the development of new features. Sponsoring features development will also give you the chance to be sure that a certain feature will be finished on a certain date. Feel free to contact me or Matt Tucker directly if you want to sponsor any feature development.

Regards,

– Gato

the idea is to

be able to upload files to a service running on the

server so that it can be shared with other users.

Users may get notifications when a file has been

updated, deleted or added.

Thank you both for your responses. That is exactly correct.

In the Sonork implementation, it appears the file is encrypted and uploaded to the server’'s file system, the intended users gets an IM notice (on or offline) a file is waiting for them…they double click on the im notice and the file downloads directly to them. The encryption of the file on the server and the offline ability are both important features for us.

The EIM system has been working very well for us over the past five years, however, we have chosen to change our desktop environments to linux desktop and retire our windows based server. As of this week…Sonork (gtv.com) has not offered a linux solution, so I am motivated to explore this option further with Wildfire. In a pinch we have all used Skype, but we are not aware of any offline message or file storage ability or plugins for linux use.

thanks again