One or two databases?

Ok I have asked this but nobody has been clear in answering the question yet. In a completed deployment are there one or two databases used on an integrated system?

I have a 20k member userbase on vBulletin, I understand that the openfire installation offers your choice of an external database and the internal database. However if one plans to integrate a community that is already in a MySQL database does that mean that they can not use the internal database that openfire offers? So how does it work? Can I use the internal database for openfire and simply tell it where to auth the users from, or should openfire in this case use the same database as the forum users? In an integrated scenario are two databases being used? Basically is the installation database seperated 100% from the user auth database?

Hey igotnotime,

Basically is the installation database seperated 100% from the user auth database?

Short answer: yes.

It doesn’t matter whether Openfire is using the internal or external database. That database is Openfire’s database. You can configure Openfire to authenticate users using POP3, LDAP, another DB, etc. You can even create your own authentication provider and hook it up to your system. The following document Custom Database Integration Guide explains how to configure Openfire to authenticate with another database.

Regards,

– Gato

Thank you.