Openfire 3.4.0 has been released

We are pleased to announce the release of Openfire 3.4.0, Openfire Enterprise 3.4.0 and Connection Managers 3.4.0.

Openfire 3.4.0 includes more than 30 new features and more than 30 bug fixes. Amongst the new features we can find Personal Eventing via Pubsub support that can be used to track geo-location of users or know what music other users are listening to. Other highly requested new features are LDAP photos, now users can retrieve their avatar from LDAP, and finally admins can manage users rosters from the admin console. Check out the complete list of changes here. Existing installations that need to update should make sure that they have a database backup since many database changes have been applied to the new release. Openfire will automatically update your database for you. Existing plugins should work fine with the new release except for: Packet Filter, Asterisk-IM, Message Of The Day and Red5. Those plugins will need to provide a new version to be compatible with Openfire 3.4.0.

Openfire Enterprise now provides support for clustering. Openfire allows you to scale to hundreds of thousand of users per machine. Clustering now lets you avoid a single point of failure in your architecture thus giving you a high availability of the XMPP service. In our load tests we were able to reach half a million concurrent connections with just a cluster of 2 nodes. The other nice addition to Openfire Enterprise is SparkWeb. Read the SparkWeb: Next Generation blog post for more information. If you have the sparkweb plugin installed you can remove it since it is now bundled with Openfire Enterprise.

SIP phone support was moved from Openfire Enterprise to the open source edition. Check out the list of available plugins to download the SIP plugin. If you are using Spark check out the list of available plugins from Spark and get the SIP Phone plugin.

Download Openfire from here.

Download Openfire Enterprise from here.

Download Connection Managers from here

Enjoy,

Openfire Team

Congratulations for this relaease.

We found an error in mysql script, last instruction to insert jiveUser lists password as column, wich is not correct. As it is no user is created. Changed to plainPassword and it seems ok now.

Cheers,

Paulo

Oi Paulo,

Thanks for the bug report. In fact that problem will affect all databases not just MySQL. As you said by just renaming the column password to plainPassword is enough. This issue will be fixed for Openfire 3.4.1.

Thanks,

– Gato

I would like to report two things.

1. When I start a fresh installation, I can’t change the admin password if I select Embedded Database.

2. The Search plugin cannot function.

I have installed Openfire 3.4.0 this morning on my Linux test server. Since then I am not able to login anymore with my jabber client. I am using kopete from KDE 3.5.7. In Openfire I have set “Client Connection Security” to required and I had no problem connecting to Openfire with my client until the update to 3.4.0 today. When I try to login with the client it looks as it is waiting for a response. In the session summary in Openfire I see the user with the status authenticated, but with presence as “offline”. The client seems to wait for a response, but somehow nothing is happening, also no timeout after several minutes or anything.

Someone realized same problems or any ideas what is going wrong now here?

Thanks!

Regards,

Klaus

Same problem here Downbreak. I’m using Openfire 3.4.0 with PostGreSQL 8.1.10 on Fedora Core 6. Spark version is 2.5.7.

Thanks.

Kleber (spockpb).

Hello,

i think a have a good idea of what is causing the login problem, and seem not to be on Openfire, but in one plugin. I saw in Openfire logs that two plugins (“user-status” and “spark web”) was causing some erros. So i decided to remove this two plugins. After remove i restart the Openfire service and everithing works fine. Now all the clients can login normally. I don’t know exactly which plugin was causing the login problem. But i really think that is the “user-status” plugin. I’ll do more tests later to certify.

Regards.

Kleber (spockpb).

I’m having some problems with Openfire on debian as well.

First of all, execCommand() in bin/extra/openfired now calls bin/openfire.sh, which does not exist (it still is bin/openfire).

Secondly, when i start openfire, it starts a few java processes, but I don’t see anything happening. ‘stdoutt.log’ contains just ‘…’, and that’s it. OpenFire does not respond on 9090 or 9091, nor on the jabber ports, so it probably never starts. When I stop openfire with ‘openfired stop’, it even claims that openfire was not running.

spockpb wrote:

But i really think that is the “user-status” plugin. I’ll do more tests later to certify.

maybe that’s spark web plugin? because in 3.4.0 it’s integrated and plugin shouldnt work.

Now I just need to know how to disable the RSS feed. What a complete waste of packets…total fluff. That is what the community is for. Don’t add the overhead no matter how minimal to my network. Or give me a way to disable it. If I want to read your RSS feed I would subscribe with an RSS Reader. It is rather presumptuous to think everyone would want a feature like this with no control of it.

mtstravel wrote:

Now I just need to know how to disable the RSS feed.

I have already asked about this in some beta release thread. No answer. Well, to me traffic is no matter, but it looks ugly in there and not in place. And it often cant connect to IR.og so shows nothing and only takes space. I prefer that page to only show vital server’s info.

When I try to login with the client it looks as it is waiting for a response. In the session summary in Openfire I see the user with the status authenticated, but with presence as “offline”. The client seems to wait for a response, but somehow nothing is happening, also no timeout after several minutes or anything.

I am seeing the same thing since upgrading. I found this in the error log.

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.Session, but class was expected

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.gateway.BaseTransport.sessionDestroyed(BaseTransport. java:2101)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.event.SessionEventDispatcher.dispatchEvent(SessionEve ntDispatcher.java:66)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionManager.removeSession(SessionManager.java:1042 )

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionManager.removeSession(SessionManager.java:1009 )

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.SessionManager$ClientSessionListener.onConnectionClos e(SessionManager.java:1120)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection.notifyCloseListeners(NIOConnection. java:181)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.NIOConnection.close(NIOConnection.java:164)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalSession.close(LocalSession.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:124)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at http://…

Hey Daniel,

You need to update to the latest gateway version. The one you are using is not compatible with Openfire 3.4.0.

Regards,

– Gato

To those of you having trouble with Openfire 3.4.0,

First off, sorry about that. It seems that you are running into 2 problems.

1. New installations are not able to log into the admin console. This is caused by an invalid column name in the creation script. Execute the following SQL statement and then restart the server:
INSERT INTO jiveUser (username, plainPassword, name, email, creationDate, modificationDate) VALUES ('admin', 'admin', 'Administrator', 'admin@example.com', '0', '0');
  1. You are using old/incompatible plugins. Make sure that your plugins are using the latest version and if you are using any of the following plugins you will need to remove them until a new version compatible with 3.4.0 is provided:
  1. Asterisk-IM

2. Red5

3. Message of the Day

4. Packet Filter

We will soon update the installers to fix the first problem.

Regards,

– Gato

dombiak_gaston wrote:

Hey Daniel,

You need to update to the latest gateway version. The one you are using is not compatible with Openfire 3.4.0.

Regards,

• Gato

I have tried updating to the latest version of gateway.jar, I’ve tried removing the gateway, I’ve tried removing all of my plugins, then uninstalling and re-installing Openfire. I am still getting errors.

In addition to the one reported:

2007.11.01 12:50:46 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.FileTransferProxy.handleIQ(FileTr ansferProxy.java:130)

] Error activating connection

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Transfer doesn’t exist or is missing parameters

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager.activate(Pr oxyConnectionManager.java:281)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.FileTransferProxy.handleIQ(FileTra nsferProxy.java:127)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.FileTransferProxy.process(FileTran sferProxy.java:326)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.RoutingTableImpl.routePacket(RoutingTableImpl.jav a:234)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:300)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:100)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:67)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:303)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:268)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:167)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

2007.11.01 12:50:45 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager$1$1.run(Pr oxyConnectionManager.java:114)

] Error processing file transfer proxy connection

java.io.IOException: Error reading Socks5 version and command

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager.processInco mingSocks5Message(ProxyConnectionManager.java:219)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager.processConn ection(ProxyConnectionManager.java:172)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager.access$100( ProxyConnectionManager.java:43)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.filetransfer.proxy.ProxyConnectionManager$1$1.run(Pro xyConnectionManager.java:111)

Okay, I totally blew away my Openfire directory, and re-installed. I am able to log in now.

Hi remko!

remko wrote:

I’m having some problems with Openfire on debian as well.

First of all, execCommand() in bin/extra/openfired now calls bin/openfire.sh, which does not exist (it still is bin/openfire).

Unfortunately, those scripts are outdated. I am going to be performing a grande “fix up all unix support for Openfire” push for next Openfire release. It’s kind of in shambles right now. Previously when I created the RPM for RedHat, before I was working for Jive, I wasn’t comfortable just up and removing their scripts, so I left them be and created my own in another directory. The unfortunate thing here is, bin/openfire was an init style script whereas openfire.sh is strictly for manual startup so to speak. In other words, you run openfire.sh and it becomes your openfire process. Doesn’t go into the background, etc… bin/openfire, on the other hand, is created by install4j and uses some sort of proprietary functionality to stop and start Openfire. The init script was edited by me at one point to try to account for openfire.sh if I recall correctly. Clearly this was not idea, especitally for now. You actually ought to be able to use bin/openfire as an init script. I guess the moral of the story is, there isn’t really a good init script except for redhat based systems right now. But fear not! We shall fully support debian style installs very soon. That was sort of babbly… my apologies.

Secondly, when i start openfire, it starts a few java processes, but I don’t see anything happening. ‘stdoutt.log’ contains just ‘…’, and that’s it. OpenFire does not respond on 9090 or 9091, nor on the jabber ports, so it probably never starts. When I stop openfire with ‘openfired stop’, it even claims that openfire was not running.

…? That’s… interesting. Can you see a java process associated with openfire running at all? Are you using the extra/openfired script or just openfire? It sounds like install4j is misbehaving but that … isn’t exactly telling us or you anything. =/

Hi folk! Those of you having installation issues and who wanted the rss feed gone, please see:

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/thread/29877

=)

Hi everybody…

just reporting the test result about the user-status plugin (version 1.0.0): the problem with login denied really happens when the user-status plugin is installed. But one observation: here i needed to restart the machine, not only the Openfire service, to make the user-status option appear at the admin roster. After that none of my clients can login. When i removed the plugin, without need to restart the service, everithing works fine again.

PS: I did not install the Spark Web plugin again. I just did the test with the user-status plugin. I don’t know why the problem happens, but a saw errors messages in my logs saying that is some problem with the creation of the database schema for the user-status plugin. But, what a did not understand is that was working fine whith Openfire 3.3.3. Maybe some changes on Openfire 3.4.x makes the plugin incompatible with this version.

Til next. Bye.

Kleber (spockpb).

The latest version (1.0.2) of the user-status plugin fixes this issues and works with Openfire 3.4.1

See http://blogs.reucon.com/srt/2007/11/07/updates_for_openfire_3_4_1.html