Openfire 3.8.2 + LDAP (AD) + multiple signon from same user account?

Hello,

I’ve successfully setup Openfire 3.7.1 tested versus AD then updated it to 3.8.2 once the AD was tested and configured group chat and am now testing with Spark 2.6.3 as a possible replacement for our current Pidgin/IRC solution.

One of the requirements that I’ve been given is that the solution allow multiple sign on from the same user. I’ve read up on the route.allresources and from what I understand, If for example I have three users A B and C and 5 computers and the users are members of the following group chats,

GroupChat
PC1
LAPTOP2
PC3
PC3
LAPTOP2
#Eng
A
A
B

#Dev
A
A
B
C
C
#IT

B

If user B sends a message to the #Dev group, Due to room persistance and the route.allresources = true the message will appear on all users screens in the #Dev Chat on all PC’s replies as they are handled by the persistant chat should show up on all PC’s

if User B sends a message directly to user C it will appear on both PC3 and LAPTOP2 but when User C replies from laptop2, his PC will not show the reply as there is no message sync between clients for a transmitted message.

This should work ok for most of our needs, but when I attempt to test and verify I am finding as soon as the second PC is logged onto the server the first PC is logged out, is there setting to tell it to allow multiple setting from the same account?

Multiple users is default behaviour for any XMPP server, but each session will need a unique resource as part of their login. You cannot have the same user logged in with the same full JID (user@domain/resource) at the same time.

The route.allresources property will simply deliver a message sent to a bare jid (i.e. without the resource part) to all sessions of that user that have the same priority. Any message sent to a specific session (full JID) will only be delivered to that session regardless of the properties setting.

Correction, the property is actually route.all-resources

Recent discussion about this, check the correct answer. http://community.igniterealtime.org/message/233426#233426

Also, this only applies to simple one on one chats. You can’t login to group chat twice with the same nickname, though you can join it with the same JID, just different nicknames. But you don’t need any special option for group chats. Group chat room always shows all messages to all connected users.