Openfire 4.0.3 - Spark 2.8.x cannot connect unless SSO

Openfire 4.0.3 on Ubuntu server.

Using SSO on my Windows domain - Everything works properly for Spark 2.7.x and 2.8.x.

I have some computers that log in with generic usernames, SSO is disabled for those so that the user can log into Spark as themselves. This works fine for 2.7.x clients, but any that I have installed 2.8.x on are getting:

I can duplicate this on my PC (Screenshot from my laptop) - Enabling SSO lets Spark log in successfully.

What changed between 2.7 and 2.8 that would affect this? Is there a quick fix that will not affect my existing SSO setup?

Thanks!

Edit - Happens on both Windows 10 and Windows 7

with the update to smack 4 is spark 2.8.x , iq auth (non-sasl) was removed due to it being depreciated. You can work around this by enabling plain authentication on your openfire server. Check you sasl.mechs property. If its only GSSAPI, add PLAIN.

There are some security implementations to consider when doing this. mainly passwords being sent in clear text. While the password is exchanged between the client and server is encrypted in transport via tls. openfire to ldap is not, unless you’re using ldaps.