OpenFire 4.5.1 and Hazelcast

I have 2 sites, each in another city. They are connected through an IPSec VPN. Each has Openfire 4.5.1 running. Currently, they are independent, running on their own database(MySQL) and using DC LDAP. Both servers are Windows Server 2016 Standard.

Server 1:

Server 2:

I have rerun the setup on both to have them both be connected to the same domain. In this case:
apd.local
I have also connected them both to the same database. I can login to both servers independently. Though only see users that are signed into the individual server.

Then I go and read further into the Hazelcast readme. Since they are both on different subnets, I assume they can’t find each other automatically, or at least they don’t seem to be able to. I have edited the firewall at both locations to allow port 5701 through(both UDP and TCP just to make sure).

They will not connect. I don’t know what I am missing. The readme is rather vague for someone that is not real familiar with networking. I know computer hardware and software, but not real great at networking.

Does anyone know what I am missing?
Does anyone have a working conf file they could share with me so that I can see what I need to change in it, and what needs to commented out or not. I know I’m missing something easy, but XML is on my list of things I know absolutely nothing about.

I just want users to be able to connect to their local server and chat with people on the other servers.

I could go to each client and configure them to just connect to the Site 1 server, but I would rather have 1 stream between server than a bunch of packets from all the clients to the server running over the VPN. Makes it easier to find packet loss issues if any arise.

If anyone can help, please do.

The settings for each node (in conf/hazelcast-local-config.xml) should be something similar to;

<join>
    <multicast enabled="false"/>
    <tcp-ip enabled="true">
      <member>10.10.1.1:5701</member>
      <member>10.10.2.1:5701</member>
    </tcp-ip>
</join>

But enabling debug and checking the logs is always a good starting point.

Greg