Openfire Cluster 101? Fresh install just doesn't work for me

I can’t get Openfire clustering to work, even with just one machine. I started with real servers, but moved to VirtualBox so that anyone can reproduce the same steps (shown below), or people can clue me into what I might be doing wrong.

I’m using:

Openfire 4.0.1

Hazelcast 2.2.0

Oracle JDK 1.8

Fedora 23 Server

I installed Fedora 23 [1] Server systems running as VirtualBox guests to test clustering, Openfire1 and Openfire2. Each has a public static IP interface (eth0) and a private 192.168.0.x/24 (eth1) “host only” network. IP Multicast available between both systems using either eth0 or eth1 interfaces. (If this ever works, the goal is to use eth1 for Hazelcast.)

Steps:

Installed Fedora 23 Server

Turned off all firewalls (firewalld, iptables)

Installed Oracle JDK 1.8

Installed MySql Server

Created openfire database

Installed openfire 4.0.2

Populated openfire database (e.g. source /opt/openfire/resources/database/openfire_mysql.sql;)

Ran openfire setup via admin console

Openfire running and talking to database

Things work fine… shutdown, reboot, retest w/out clustering.

Install Hazelcast plugin (clustering is disabled)

Enable Clustering.

Admin console page never returns from clicking enable. I went for a beer (er… two) point being I waited longer than 30 seconds.

Is there any low hanging fruit in the steps above?

I’ve tried turning multicast off in Hazelcast, using TCP instead. I get the same result. I can’t even get clustering enabled with one node.

In case a second node is needed to cluster to, I set one up. I shutdown openfire on Openfire1 VM, leaving the system running (I need the MySql DB.)

Using the same steps above, I install a second Fedora Sever (Openfire2), install openfire etc. as above but using MySql DB on Openfire1 VM.

Openfire2 works w/out clustering, e.g. I can use the MySql DB on the other machine.

When I enable Hazelcast plugin, I get the same problem as above.

I shutdown then restart BOTH machines with clustering enabled (via edit to openfire.xml true) The goal is to test with “something to talk to”.

No luck. Using tcpdump, I see a LOT of chatter between Openfire1 and Openfire2 on the eth1 interface. They are talking to each other.

On both systems, the admin console is unresponsive (sometimes I get an exception I’ve reported in other posts.)

Since these are just test VM’s running on my Macbook, I can try a few things if anyone has an idea.

[1] I’ve done the whole thing all over again using Ubuntu 14.04.03 LTS, same result.