Openfire Database schema not upgraded

Upgraded from Openfire 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 version,

while starting the openfire, getting error in the UpdateManager

java.net.UnknownHostException: www.igniterealtime.org
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.update.UpdateManager.checkForServerUpdate(UpdateManager.java:223)
        at org.jivesoftware.openfire.update.UpdateManager$1.run(UpdateManager.java:136)

And maybe due to this update not happening,
there is another error while logging to Administration console

ERROR 2018-03-01 15:16:19,681 org.jivesoftware.util.JiveProperties.insertProperty(JiveProperties.java:363) - ERROR: column "encrypted" of relation "ofproperty" does not exist
  Position: 41
com.edb.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column "encrypted" of relation "ofproperty" does not exist

My server is not connected to the internet. Is the UpdateManager only for database upgrade ?
Is there a way I could run the updates manually using some database scripts ?
Or is it mandatory that the server must be on the internet for this ?

Thanks,
Srividhya

UpdateManager is probably only for checks about new version of Openfire and to check and install new versions of plugins. Database scheme is updated on the first run after upgrading with an installer (it uses local sql scripts to do this).

Thank you.

The database schema has not been updated during the first run. Is there a configuration that we can set so that
schema is updated during the next restart ?

Thanks.

What makes you think db schema wasn’t updated?

encrypted column is missing in ofproperty table.

I am assuming this must be a schema change after 4.1.2 version. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

I’m not that familiar with db changes and don’t have Openfire here. But i think upgrade scripts are in /openfire/database folder. You can check the latest script and see what db version it should set and then check your actual database and see what version is there.

Thanks.

ofversion was 21 and hence the upgrade was trying to update from version 21 to 26.
The database already had updates till version 25, and it was failing.

Manually updated ofversion to 25 and restarted openfire. Works fine now.

Thanks,
Srividhya

I see, probably failed to update version after the update. I think there was related bug in recent versions. Great it works fine now.

On the other point, if your server is not connected to the internet you can get rid of the “java.net.UnknownHostException: www.igniterealtime.org” errors by setting the system property update.service-enabled to false

Greg

1 Like

I think there is also a GUI option to disable updates checks.