Openfire loses connection with all clients multiple times per day

Running Openfire 3.5.1 with LDAP connection to Windows AD. All IM clients disconnect from the openfire multiple times per day, and I can’t figure out why.

We’ve been running openfire for a few years now without issues. I recently installed openfire on a new server and connected it to the AD rather than having to create usernames and passwords manually each time we got a new user.

Below is a cut and paste of my error log around the time of the last time we all got disconnected.

Any ideas???

2008.05.19 12:51:16 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:177)

] Groups () include non-existent username (cn=warehouse,cn=users,dc=2mfg,dc=com)

2008.05.19 12:52:37 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.populateGroups(LdapGroupProvi der.java:683)

]

java.lang.NullPointerException

2008.05.19 12:52:37 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider.populateGroups(LdapGroupProvi der.java:683)

]

]

2008.05.19 12:52:37 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQvCardHandler.handleIQ(IQvCardHandler.java: 92)

]

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: VCard provider is read-only.

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.vcard.VCardManager.setVCard(VCardManager.java:125)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQvCardHandler.handleIQ(IQvCardHandler.java:8 3)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.handler.IQHandler.process(IQHandler.java:49)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.handle(IQRouter.java:349)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.IQRouter.route(IQRouter.java:101)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.spi.PacketRouterImpl.route(PacketRouterImpl.java:68)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.processIQ(StanzaHandler.java:299)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ClientStanzaHandler.processIQ(ClientStanzaHandler .java:79)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:264)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:163)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:133)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.common.IoFilterAdapter.messageReceived(IoFilterAdapter.java:80)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:180)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :239)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:283)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.mina.util.NamePreservingRunnable.run(NamePreservingRunnable.java:51)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

2008.05.19 12:54:37 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:177)

] Groups () include non-existent username (cn=warehouse,cn=users,dc=2mfg,dc=com)

2008.05.19 12:54:59 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:177)

2008.05.19 12:55:42 [org.jivesoftware.openfire.roster.Roster.<init>(Roster.java:177)

is this a Windows or Linux server? also, do you have the connections set to disconnect a client if they are idle for more than a set period of time?

This is a Windows server, and as far as I know, I don’t have an idle disconnect setup (Most of my openfire settings are just left at their default settings).

Hi,

Try setting xmpp.client.idle to -1 on the system properties page and see what happens.

daryl

That is very strange, now that you bring it up… Lately in the last month or so I have users telling me that they get disconnected randomly, often many times throughout out the day. I previously chalked it off as maybe some other network issue. And since I do not sit at my system all day usually, I cannot say I notice it… Until today, I was doing a routine visit to one of my buildings, and lo and behold it happened to the secretary (one that tells me about it all the time) just as I sat down to her pc. She is on hers all day long, so I cannot believe it is a timeout issue for me. Hers said it was disconnected due to an error, and then it automatically reconnected right away with no problems… I went back to my Openfire server (Windows server 2003 R2 Sp2 32 bit, NO AD integration, but all manually created accounts) (which has been running for years now, even since it was a Wildfire Server!!) I did not see really any errors, other than the ones I see on a normal basis. So I decided to shoot a mass Email out to the staff, and within 2 hours I received a few replies back saying that they randomly get disconnected, some once every few days, others multiple times a day. We are on a Fiber network between building, and Gig internally. They are using folder redirection, and connected to other database servers, so I can safely assume that it is not a network issue, otherwise I would have heard about it way before now, as I would of had people bitching about database problems, or their desktops and documents disappearing as well…I will maybe post my plethora of NORMAL (saying lightly) error logs tomorrow when I get back in to work…Hopefully it is just a strange coincidence!!

Ok, I set that property… I will see what happens today…

we are with the same problem here.

I did some work(just translation) with openfire for some weeks and all works fine. After I builded Openfire again with the changes and it went to a test server and everything works fine again. now it´s running on a different server/network and the users are disconnected time by time.

*firewall ports are opened.