Openfire maximum user limit around 1000 users

I have Openfire 3.9.1 installed on ubuntu 12.04.4. I’m trying to test limits of my setup, ie how many users can connect without problems to the current system.

I’m using tsung to make the test.

But no matter how high the maximum users value is in the tsung.xml config file, I can’t get more than 1009 user sessions at the same time.

Some say in this community they had reached 250k users. So it must be my setup causing problem.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks…

It is likely you are hitting system limits for open file handles, check out ulimit

http://askubuntu.com/questions/162229/how-do-i-increase-the-open-files-limit-for -a-non-root-user

thanks for your answer Daryl. I tried to increase open file limit (also chanced security/limits.conf file too), its now 100k. rebooted openfire server, started the test and again same number :1009. I wonder if it is related to tsung.xml file?

You may need to reboot your system if you’ve made sysctl.conf type changes, unless you applied them immediately with the sysctl CLI tool itself.

I re-checked the system and

ulimit -Hn =100000

ulimit -Sn =100000

so file limit should not be the problem here.

I don’t know whether its related or not, but in my stderror.log file i had these

org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException

java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

type exceptions.

best regards…

Did you set the ulimit on both machines? Client and server…

Hope it helps!

Thanks guys turns out both server and client file limits should be set, now no limits