Openfire memory usage never decreases

Openfire version: 3.8.2

Java version: 1.6.0_18

Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Database: SQL Server 2008 (on the same host)

Authentication: LDAP to AD

RAM: 4 GB

Plugins: Load Statistic and Search

openfire-service.vmoptions: -Xms256m -Xmx1000m

Like many other people, we have memory issues with Openfire. I’ve set “xmpp.pep.enabled” to “false” and removed most plugins. Our Openfire server hasn’t crashed, but it has become sluggish (users need many logon attempts, messages take several seconds to appear) and the web interface has gone offline from time to time.

The memory usage in the web interface stays low. In the “Server Information” page, the “Java Memory” field stays between 50MB and 150MB (of 966.69). However, in Task Manager, the process “openfire-service.exe” grows by about 1 MB per minute. When we restart the service, “openfire-service.exe” uses about 150MB. Half an hour later, it’s around 180MB. Hours later, it continues to grow at the same rate.

This server is on a private network with no Internet access, so we can’t use java-monitor’s service. The information above is the best information I can offer.

I’m very curious as to why Openfire reports that it’s using ~100MB of memory, but the openfire-service.exe process grows without bounds. Do you have any idea why that might happen? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

The pep property won’t make a difference anymore since that problem has been fixed.

I would try attaching jvisualvm to the server to gather some information as to where the memory is being used.