Openfire no longer starts

Hello,

I am running Openfire 3.6.3 on Windows Server 2003 and it has been working fine. However, I had to reboot the server and when I tried to start Openfire, I received the following error:

[Begin Startup Error Message]

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@89120b67[file =E:\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : E:\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:710)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:427)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:161)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:106)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:51)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@89120b67[file =E:\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file : E:\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck
at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:124)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:698)
… 16 more
ESrerverrh or starting the server. Please check the log files for more information.
alted

[End Startup Error Message]

I have also attached the more detailed error.log file to this post. Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?
error.log (837645 Bytes)

are you sure the server is not starting as a service. it looks as if you are trying to run a second instance.

Todd,

Thank you for your help! I guess you have just shown how much I have to learn. I thought you had to launch the server for it to run.

But now I am having another problem. For some reason, I can no longer log in to the Administration Console. We are using AD and I have been able to log in in the past. But now I receive the following error:

Login failed: make sure your username and password are correct and that you’re an admin or moderator.

Do you know where I can troubleshoot/fix this problem?

you may have corrupted settings when you tried to launch it twice. First stop the service, wait about a minute and start it again. If you still cannot get in then do this:

• stop openfire service
  • edit c:\program files\openfire\conf\openfire.xml setup tag to read false
  • start openfire service
  • go to admin website and step through the config (make sure all answers are the same as previously used)