Openfire silently dropping connection?

I’'ve stumbled onto an odd problem.

Using psi or gajim and their XML consoles I’'ve sent iq:jabber:version queries to my openfire server.

First query does not give any reply. If I resend the query with another id, I might get a reply to the first query. After this point however, nothing that I send is replied to, and messages to an off-server MUC that I am connected to are for example not sent. During all this time same queries from off-server user JIDs are replied to instantly. Any configuration error or something within openfire? Do I do anything wrong?

Hey Aholm,

First off, which version of the server are you using? Do you see any error in the log files?

Having said that, are you sending the IQ version packet after you have logged in? Are you sending it from the XML console? Do you see the same problem with normal usage of the client? And in your case, is my-openfire-server.com the domain of your server? If not then the server will try to find the my-openfire-server.com server and once it failed to find it you will get an IQ error. That operation may take some time.

Regards,

– Gato

First off, which version of the server are you using?

Do you see any error in the log files?

The log files are sort of unusable as they are filled with too many lines for each error.

Having said that, are you sending the IQ version packet after you have logged in?

Yes.

Are you sending it from the XML console?

Yes.

Do you see the same problem with normal usage of the client?

Sort of. If I have sent these with the xml console, then I can’'t do service discovery successfully from the same account and basically not anything at all.

And in your case, is my-openfire-server.com the domain of your server?

Yes, it is. I used the real domain which I did not want to reveal there. It got the proper SRV records and everything.

If not then the server will try to find the my-openfire-server.com server and once it failed to find it you will get an >IQ error. That operation may take some time.

Then my own openfire server does not know its own name and where it is located…

When using the xml console you need to be very careful to your xml.

When I was using it, if my xml was not valid then openfire silently closes the connection

One would assume that the first example from http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0092.html#examples is correct. I changed from and to (yes, they were still properly quoted). Also, Psi usually complains about incorrect XML, but it did not do it in this case which also indicates that it is correct.

I cleared the logs and deleted alot of plugins (see http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=146081) and now I can verify that there is no error, warning, info or debug information available at this stage.