powered by Jive Software

Openfire/Spark stops working randomly


Needing som expert help with our productionserver that doesn’t work properly.


Ubuntu Server 12.4

Openfire 3.7.1

MySQL 5.5 (Openfire DB)

Users: around 200 between “normal” working hours

The problem is that (mostly) twice a week the server stops working, no logins are processed but the webinterface are working.

The only solution we’ve found is to restart the whole server.

Because the server is very business critical we need to do this immediately and therefore I haven’t been able to investigate the problem that much when it actually happens.

The information we’ve gotten from the logs is that “Too many open files are open” and we have tried to extend this value, at this point we have a value of 40000 open files allowed.

But the problem continues.

Does anyone have a clue were we should begin to find a solution?

Kind regards,

Freddy Christensen

What about upgrading to 3.8.2?

There is an annoucement on top of the forums:

"Announcement: Suffering from memory-related issues in Openfire? Read this!

Updated: We do not believe this issue to exist with Openfire release 3.8.1.

Openfire up to and including version 3.6.4 (and looks like 3.7.0 too) suffers from a memory leak in its PEP component. If your Openfire server is crashing with OutOfMemoryExceptions, you might be having this problem.

As a workaround, you can disable PEP, by adding the system property xmpp.pep.enabled and setting it to false."

You may be hitting memory leak error in PEP. So you can disable it. Though that didn’t help in my case and i have also increased Java memory. So now it runs fine about a month, between my scheduled maintenance reboots.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/install- guide.html

Custom Parameters part with -Xms512m -Xmx1024m