Openfire truncates LDAP passwords at 30 characters

I’ve been trying to set up OpenFire against my OpenLDAP directory for a few hours and nearly tearing my hair out. Finally I tried snooping the network traffic and I find that the password that OpenFire is transmitting is only 30 characters long. My password is more than that.

i just tested this issue, and can confirm it. However this doesn’t prevent the client from signing in via ldap with long passwords. It only prevents the ldap bind. As a side note the ldap bind account usually just requires read only access to ldap. So a non-admin/non privileged account is usually all you need.

You can work around this issue by using a temp account to get past the initial setup, and then manually update the following properties from the admin panel.

ldap.adminDN

ldap.adminPassword

1 Like

I’ve created a ticket in our issue tracker for this problem. [OF-1129] Setup truncates LDAP password to 30 characters - IgniteRealtime JIRA

A fix has already been created, and will be included in Openfire 4.1.0. In earlier versions, you can use the workaround that @speedy mentioned: reset your password in the ldap.adminPassword property after the setup of Openfire has finished.

1 Like