Openfire XMPP Ping Request - how to change Ping frequensy

Hello

In Openfire 3.8.2 / Client Connection Settings i have the following setup:

Send an XMPP Ping request to idle clients.

The problem is that openfire sends XMPP Ping every 15 seconds, which is an overhead IMHO.

I Can’t find where & how to change this parameter, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

After some experiments with the Client (Android / Asmack / Providers initialization) the Openfire sends now

XMPP Ping every 150 seconds , so no more problem for high frequensy.

However, the question about changing XMPP Ping frequensy parameter still exists

I wonder how a client change can influence this parameter (ping interval) on server side. What did you exactly change?

Hi Flow, i always wanted to thank you for your efforts on Android port of smack, so THANKS!!!

I am comfuzed about that client change & its influence on ping interval…

I am using your version of Asmack 0.8.9

The only change is that in the past i was registering providers manually (no SmackAndroid.init(Context))

and later i used SmackAndroid.init(Context) …

In both cases i use a Ping Provider copied/pasted from here for both sending & receiving xmpp Ping packets

Hi Flow, i always wanted to thank you for your efforts on Android port of smack, so THANKS!!!
Your welcome. I appreciate that.

The only change is that in the past i was registering providers manually (no SmackAndroid.init(Context))

and later i used SmackAndroid.init(Context) …

In both cases i use a Ping Provider copied/pasted from here for both sending & receiving xmpp Ping packets

That seems unecessary work and error prone. First, (a)Smack comes with XMPP Ping support, there is no need to add an extra PingProvider.

I am still confused about your actual problem. Is it the server that sends the ping requests so often, you mentioned 15 seconds, or the client? Both shouldn’t do it and IIRC neither openfire nor (a)smack are configured to do so. How did you discover that behavior?

You are right, as (a)Smack comes with Ping support, i have to “renew” my code. Is it also supports Pong support ?? (answer packet to Ping packet).

Each 5 minutes my client sends a ping to server & this works OK as expected.

I try to develop the other way, each X minutes the server sends a Ping to client & the client responds.

With the following client/server configuration, openfire sends a Ping to client every **150 **secs. (I check the time intervals from smack Logs in client’s Logs)

Server settings:

Send an XMPP Ping request to idle clients.

Client: asmack 0.8.9 / SmackAndroid.init(Context) / Ping provider mentioned before

The question is how to manually change the Ping time interval from the openfire side

(e.g. is it possible to the Ping interval at 250 secs , at Openfire side ? )

as far as the 15 seconds interval at my first message, lets assume that i did something terribly wrong, and i suppose that using SmackAndroid.init(Context) is a must-do in android dev with asmack) which i didn’t do as i had to.

Is it also supports Pong support ??
Of course, XEP-199 (SMACK-388) support wouldn’t be complete without Pong