OpenfireNested Groups

it possible to show OpenFire(3.5.2) groups and group members to other groups and group members selectively in a user’s Spark roster ?

To make OpenFire groups and members visible to the members of that group, the feature “Contact List (Roster) Sharing” is used to “Enable contact list group sharing”.

There is the option via the GUI to “Share group with additional users”, however this appears to share the group and group members to all users.

Hence the question, is it possible to show groups and group members to other groups and group members selectively ?

This is what we have implemented using a LDAP database so it is clear why we would want to show groups and membership selectively:

Each LDAP group is identified by using an attribute of the group to flag as and OpenFire group, i.e.

Example:

First

First::Sub

Second

Second::SUB

Second::SUB:SUB1

The above senerio currenty working but i would like to show only root groups [with out Shared Groups( i.e First and Second) in openfire Admin UI.

nsn_r wrote:

There is the option via the GUI to “Share group with additional users”, however this appears to share the group and group members to all users.

I’m not sure this is working the same with LDAP, but normally there is more options in group sharing:

All groups

The following groups

So you can select what groups to share to. You can’t select users.

As about nesting. It’s not supported directly in Openfire. Though you can do virtual nesting with some clients. But it seems it’s not what you are searching though. Such complex settings of group visibility is not possible now. There is a long standing JIRA ticket - “Chinese Walls” which maybe could be a solution. But i havent heard much about it for a long time.

You can share groups with any select number of other groups, but can not select individual user accounts. Nested groups are not supported in openfire 3.5.2 so may not work as expected.

Hi

Thanks for giving Reply .

Any how i got the parentGroup. But i want when I select i would like to get the sub groups of that selecded group??

(I mean Ex:

First—>root

First::Sub1

First::Sub1::Sub2

When i click the Root Group(First) i Want

First::Sub1

First::Sub1::Sub2

Any one can help give.

I can just repeat - there is no support for nested groups in Openfire.

Hi,

I´m also interested in nesteg groups and sub groups. Are there any plans to implement this ?

Thanks

Plans yes timeframe unsure. Until some future release of openfire, this is not supported. You will need to create groups specifically for openfire that do not contain other groups.

Thanks,

is there any open jira where we can vote on ?

What do you mean with “You will need to create groups specifically for openfire that do not contain other groups.”, is there some workaround to do this now ?

Thanks

In my LDAP I created an OU specifically for groups to use with openfire. These gorups contained no nested groups. and they are the only groups openfire is allowed to see based on the BaseDN.

ok…I don´t use ldap, so I wasn´t understanding…thanks

Then your question really makes no sence why would you want nested groups directly on the openfire server?

I want it to have some organization on the rosters. We are a group with a couple of companys, each company has departments, so I would like to have in the rosters :

Company

Department 1

User 1

User 2

Department 2

User 1

User 2

So name your groups based on the compnay when you share them. For example Company A - Group 1

That´s a workaround

multiply “Company A - Group 1” by 20 or more, and you will see how ugly the roster tree will become.

Company A - Group 1

Company A - Group 2

Company A - Group 3

Company A - Group 4

Company A - Group 5

Company A - Group 6

Company A - Group 7

Company B - Group 1

Company B - Group 1

Company B - Group 1

thanks

As i have mentioned in my first post, you can do virtual nesting with the clients supporting that. Say Exodus will make nested groups using “/” sign by default. So if you set display name of some group as Company1/Department1, in Exodus it will look like Department1 is a nested group of Company1. Spark has nesting support too, using " :: " as a divider, but it is buggy.