org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException (start_tag) custom packets (packet extension)

Hi Everyone

HELP! Im currently working on a Masters Project for my Uni and in big trouble. My project involves creating a collaborative system for a concept mapping software. i have already built simple Java IM client using the Smack Api. i want a way to transfer some custom data. I followed the tutorial on sending custom data (using packetextension) here (Use Case 2: The Custom Message):

http://java.sys-con.com/node/232087?page=0,1

http://gemsres.com/story/jun06/232087/source.html

The tutorial is the only one i found but it wasnt too clear (for me anyway). Im programming in netbeans 6.5.1, using smack api ver 3.1.0 and openfire 3.6.4.

i have made some modifications in the code listed to suit my needs. which i will list here.

As mentioned in the tutorial I created a class which implements the PacketExtension and the PacketExtensionProvider (shown under listing 3 of the 2nd link). Once the file was compiled i placed the class files into the **org.jivesoftware.smackx.provider folder **in the smackx.jar file.

The only changes i made to this was that i changed the namespace (ConceptionEx) and the elementName (ConExMsgExtension).

public class ConExMsgExtension implements PacketExtension
{
private String xmlFile = “”;
public static String namespace = “ConceptionEx”;
public static String elementname = “ConExMsgExtension”;

public ConExMsgExtension() {
super();
// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
}

public void setXmlFile(String file)
{
this.xmlFile = file;
}
public String getXmlFile()
{
return xmlFile;
}
public String getNamespace()
{
return “ConceptionEx”;
}
public String getElementName()
{
return “ConExMsgExtension”;
}
public String toXML()
{
StringBuffer buf = new StringBuffer();
buf.append("<").append(getElementName()).append(" xmlns="").append(getNamespace()).
append("">");
if (getXmlFile() != null)
{
//buf.append("<conf Url="").append(getXmlFile()).append(""/>");
buf.append("<conf Url="").append(getXmlFile()).append(""/>");
}
buf.append("</").append(getElementName()).append(">");
return buf.toString();

}

public static class Provider implements PacketExtensionProvider
{
    public Provider()
    {        }
    public PacketExtension parseExtension(XmlPullParser parser)  throws Exception
    {
        ConExMsgExtension ConExtn = new ConExMsgExtension();
         boolean done = false;
         while (!done)
         {
            int eventType = parser.next();
            if (eventType == XmlPullParser.START_TAG)
            {
                 if (parser.getName().equals("conf"))
                 {
                    ConExtn.setXmlFile(parser.getAttributeValue("", "Url"));
                    done = true;
                 }
           }
         }
         return ConExtn;
    }

}
}

i also added the following code to be added in the smack.providers file in the smackx.jar file:

ConExMsgExtension ConceptionEx **org.jivesoftware.smackx.provider.ConExMsgExtension$Provider**

NOW heres the problem … when im running my client and login i get the following error message. and i dont know for the life of me wht i need to do to correct this.

org.xmlpull.v1.XmlPullParserException: parser must be on START_TAG to read next text (position: TEXT seen …ConExMsgExtension</… @264:52)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextText(MXParser.java:1055)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.provider.ProviderManager.initialize(ProviderManager.java :209)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.provider.ProviderManager.(ProviderManager.java:436 )

at org.jivesoftware.smack.provider.ProviderManager.getInstance(ProviderManager.jav a:134)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.debugger.EnhancedDebuggerWindow.createDebug(EnhancedDeb uggerWindow.java:227)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.debugger.EnhancedDebuggerWindow.showNewDebugger(Enhance dDebuggerWindow.java:125)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.debugger.EnhancedDebuggerWindow.addDebugger(EnhancedDeb uggerWindow.java:115)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.debugger.EnhancedDebugger.(EnhancedDebugger.java: 148)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessor Impl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructor AccessorImpl.java:27)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.initReaderAndWriter(XMPPConnection.java:1 097)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.initConnection(XMPPConnection.java:920)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:904)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:1415)

at Project.LoginScreen.login(LoginScreen.java:246)

at Project.LoginScreen.connectBtnActionPerformed(LoginScreen.java:207)

at Project.LoginScreen.access$100(LoginScreen.java:22)

at Project.LoginScreen$2.actionPerformed(LoginScreen.java:146)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1995)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2318)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.ja va:236)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6216)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3265)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5981)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2041)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4583)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2099)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4413)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4556)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4220)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4150)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2085)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2475)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4413)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:599)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:26 9)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:17 4)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

If anyone can help me i would be **indebted!!! **i have been stuck on it for 2 days and going insane. If there anything else i need to mention plz let me know. My deadline is due in 2 weeks and i have to write a nearly 15000 word dissertation for my project… IF only i could get the coding done!

PLZ HELP!

Thanks in advance

Sreejit

Hey guys

this is going to make me look stupid! but i found a simple way of using the packet extension. My custom message was very simple (just a single string) so i just used the **defaultextensionpacket **class. Though i would still like to know why im getting the error encountered when i try to use a custom extension packet!

any help would be appreciated! BTW the api is really good (im sure everyone already knows that… but just thought i’d share my appreciation).

Sreejit