powered by Jive Software

Package Downloads and Updates

Hey guys, I don’t know if anyone has addressed this before, but the openfire server packages for download are pretty problematic when it comes time for updates.

As the server administrator, I get notifications as soon as an update to the Openfire platform is released. And I work almost exclusively in a terminal window all day long.

The issue is with your download page.

You’re using a download manager script rather than linking directly to the file itself.
This makes it next to impossible to simply wget the file for installation.

I have to download the update, then upload it to my server then install it.

I happen to be using debian, so I grab the deb.
It would be awesome if you could just create a simple repository and toss the updates in, that way the entire update process could be totally automated through unattended-upgrades.

But I understand that may not be something you wish to do for both debian and redhat packages you release…

An alternative that could also help this process out greatly, when the server sends me a notification that there is an update to openfire… If it could include in that message an actual direct link to the updated deb that I could just copy into a terminal and wget from, that would be amazing as well.

That download script that you’re using just causes so many problems when it comes times to update.

I can see how that’s annoying - I’ve ran into that myself occasionally. As a work-around, you can download the distributables straight from Github. They’re always added to a release that’s defined there, such as https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/releases/tag/v4.6.0

I’ve never bothered looking at why the linkage is how it is. I’m assuming that there’s a reason for it, that relates to us not wanting to use to much costly download bandwidth (which can get pricey) from our hoster - but I’m not sure. In any case, the source for the website (including the download bit) is publicly available. If you want to spend the time and investigate and/or come up with improvements: have at it!

There’s probably some discussion to be had if it’s feasible and desirable to include download links straight into the update message. I wonder to what extend that’s a potential vector for abuse, for example. Also, what distribution to include? The existing mechanism is not very complex, so adding dynamically detected stuff to it might not be easy.

1 Like

That… Is fantastic! Thank you!
I can absolutely script with that URL and automate the updates!

1 Like

That intermediate page is only used for download counters, which github does for us now anyway. We probably could just redirect through that page without any further clicking and allow the direct wget request to work. Boggling…

1 Like

I have implemented something now to allow this to generally work from the links presented on the download page.

wget -O openfire-4.6.0-1.noarch.rpm  'https://www.igniterealtime.org/downloadServlet?filename=openfire/openfire-4.6.0-1.noarch.rpm'
2 Likes