Pandion Search Facility Greyed out

Hello all!

Hi all!

I’'m fairly new to Jabber, but I am very excited about it. The simplicity of JiveMessenger and the configurable XML-nature of Pandion make the combination of the two a powerful IM solution!

I am having a few problems with the search facility, though, and I hope someone can help.

When using Pandion, attempting to add a contact using “Actions/Add a Contact”, I find the top search box, “I want to search for someone” is greyed out. Does anyone know why? Is there a protocol incompatibity between the two products somewhere?

Also, please excuse the question, but it is not obvious to me what the purpose of the search and broadcast plugins are. They seem to be correctly installed on my server but I cannot see any change in functionality. Could someone tell me how to use them, please?

Any help or advice with this would be appreciated - JiveMessenger is a fantastic product!

Many thanks in advance

Hal

Hal,

We’'re glad to hear that you found Jive Messenger and Pandion. There was actually a group chat with the Pandion developers on this site today that you may want to check out:

http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=97112#97112

The search problem that you’'re seeing in Pandion is apparently a bug in Jive Messenger that we should get fixed for the next release. In order to make search work, you need the search plugin (sounds like you already have it installed).

To verify that the broadcast plugin is working, try sending a message to:

all@broadcast.[serverName] where serverName is the name of your server. So, it might be something like all@broadcast.dagobah. If the plugin is working, every user connected to your server should get the message you send.

Regards,

Matt

i just add that plugins adds functionality in client-side, not server-side or Admin Console. Try searching in client (maybe you cant see any improvements because of that bug with search).

I saw the chat with Pandion, Matt, and found it very interesting. You are all doing great work!

Can I suggest that a quick readme file is included on the plugins page (maybe zipped with the jar file) to say how the plugin works, how it should be installed (although this is admittedly very easy) and how it can be used at the client?

When adding all@broadcast.server.domain to my contacts list, Pandion states that it is awaiting authorisation. Is this the correct method to make the broadcast facility easily accessible at the client?

OK, so the search plugin fixes the bug, or does it provide “extended search” rather than the standard “recommended search” facilities? I have the search plugin, but the situation is not improved at the client. Is there something else I have to do?

Do you have a possible release date for the new version of JM? Will it be in weeks or months?

Thank you both for your help, Matt and wroot - and keep up the brilliant work, Jive Messenger really has fulfilled a niche, and I if there is any justice then it will become hugely popular!

Best wishes

Paul

it was discussed once about readme in plugins section, and Ryan (developer of these plugins) said he’'ll do something about this, if i remember this correctly:)

as about “extended search”. I’‘m using Exodus right now, so w/o plugin if i try search i have to enter some search agent or DB in first dialog. With search plugin installed i have search.jiveserver selected automaticly. I think this plugin creates this search agent for searching in Jive Messenger user database. Sorry if my answer is not clear, well i’‘m not a developer of JM and this plugin:) I’'m only the user of this software like you;)

i just add that plugins adds functionality in

client-side, not server-side or Admin Console. Try

searching in client (maybe you cant see any

improvements because of that bug with search).

Hi wroot,

Plugins can actually add functionality to the server-side and/or admin console, it’‘s just that the two that are available right now, search and broadcast, don’'t.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Paul,

Can I suggest that a quick readme file is included on

the plugins page (maybe zipped with the jar file) to

say how the plugin works, how it should be installed

(although this is admittedly very easy) and how it

can be used at the client?

As wroot mentioned this issue was brought up in another thread, but not much has been done about it. There is change log for the search plugin but that’‘s only available if you checkout the source from cvs. The nice thing about the way plugins are distributed now is that you just download them, drop them in the plugins directory of Messenger and you’‘re ready to go; there’'s no unzipping required. Maybe some additional descriptive information could be provided in the plugin manager in the admin console? That way all we could keep the plugins as just single files.

OK, so the search plugin fixes the bug, or does it

provide “extended search” rather than the standard

“recommended search” facilities? I have the search

plugin, but the situation is not improved at the

client. Is there something else I have to do?

Unfortunately this is a problem between the current version (2.1.2) of Messenger and Pandion; both the search and confrencing features don’'t work properly. This issue should be fixed for the next version of Messenger

Do you have a possible release date for the new

version of JM? Will it be in weeks or months?

Somebody asked this in the developer chat yesterday, Matt responded by saying his “current estimate is a few weeks, but we’'ll try to make that firmer in the near future.”

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Plugins can actually add functionality to the server-side and/or admin console, it’‘s just >that the two that are available right now, search and broadcast, don’'t.

yes, i know:) i was speaking about these two plugins;)

Maybe

some additional descriptive information could be

provided in the plugin manager in the admin console?

That way all we could keep the plugins as just single

files.

that sounds good. Though short description is needed at download page too, so you dont have to install it to know what it does:)

Matt responded by saying his "current estimate is a

few weeks, but we’'ll try to make that firmer in the

near future."

He was talking about skiping 2.1.x versions. So maybe they will release 2.2.0 in a few weeks?:slight_smile:

Plugins can actually add functionality to the

server-side and/or admin console, it’'s just that the

two that are available right now, search and

broadcast, don’'t.

yes, i know:) i was speaking about these two

plugins;)

Yeah, I’'m sorry. I should have known better.

Maybe some additional descriptive information could be

provided in the plugin manager in the admin console?

That way all we could keep the plugins as just single

files.

that sounds good. Though short description is needed

at download page too, so you dont have to install it

to know what it does:)

Well, there already is a brief description but I guess the descriptions could just be extended to be a little bit more descriptive.

|Thank you all for your comments.

I am very excited about the new release of JM, in which the search facility will work with Pandion! I will be upgrading ffrom the current version, so I may have to post a new question about preserving settings on a RHEL3 server using rpm (of course, I’'ll search the forum for an answer first! )

I work for a small charity where I have to beg every time I want to implement something that costs money, so I want to let you know Matt, together with your fellow developers and contributors, that you are doing an extremely worthwhile and valuable thing here, and it is appreciated. I will be spreading the word at every opportunity from now on!!

By the way, why isn’'t the project on sourceforge? Listing it here would help promote it.

Kind regards

Hal

All issues answered! Thanks

Hey guys,

For your information, tomorrow’'s nightly build will include a fix for the search and conference problems reported with Pandion. The relates jira issue is: JM-244.

Thanks,

– Gato