powered by Jive Software

Please help me debug an ICQ status problem

Howdy…

I’m using Openfire 3.4.2 w/ IM Gateway 1.2.1a. I have several accounts that register with both MSN and ICQ.

After starting Openfire fresh, all status changes (ie. Away, DND, etc) propigate fine to both MSN and ICQ. However after while these status changes no longer make their way to ICQ. (they still do to MSN however). So the users will stay “online” with ICQ even though they are “away” as shown in Sessions and Registrations.

I’ve tried looking at the debug log, but I really don’t see much of anything coming through for status changes with ICQ. I see a lot more information come through from MSN. Is there something (anything!) I can look at to see what is happening in more detail?

My only guess is this. The two clients that I notice this on the most are Nokia N800 internet tablets. I know they are sending the poper Jabber status updates, but they are a little unique in how they are used network wise. For example they may start the day by connecting to the Jabber server via a wifi network at work where they remain connected all day. Now at the end of the day they may just be brought home without “disconnecting” from the Jabber server explictly. The tablets just see the work wifi network disappear and then reconnect automatically (to both wifi and jabber) once they reach another network like home. I don’t see why that should present a problem, but it’s the only thing I can really see being different from a stationary Jabber client. Possibly not “disconnecting” before reconnecting is screwing up the ICQ status portion?

Anyways, I would LOVE to figure this out as it’s the only problem I have with Openfire and I really don’t want to go the 3rd party python route for just one service. Any help would be greatly apprecated. I don’t mind connecting to another server for testing. Even bribes might be possible !

Would anyone know how to restart the IM gateway service from the shell? I could at least put that in cron for the time being I guess…

I’m not aware of a way to restart from the command line. That said, I don’t understand why the plugin running for a time would have anything to do with this behavior. (I’m not saying it’s not happening, it just makes no sense to me ) Anyone else having these problems with ICQ?

I understand, I just wish there was a way for me to investigate this further.

I know my Openfire server is aware of my correct status, as it shows it on Gateway Registrations page correctly. However, I don’t see much (if anything) for ICQ in the debug logs when I make status changes on the client. But really I don’t know if there is even debugging that I should see?

All I know is that once ICQ gets stuck in the “online/available” state there is no way for me to change it by making status changes on the client. (Short of restarting the IM Gateway service which always works, initially).

Any (remote) chance you have a test server setup that I could connect to for a bit and try to get “stuck” ? I know it’s a longshot, but I’m desperate.