Pop3 Authentication fail in 3.4.1

I tried to update from 3.3.3 to 3.4.1 tonight to find out Pop3 authentication doesn’t work in 3.4.1.

My server run on windows2000, mysq, hmailserver.

I installed using the exe package, everything updated fine, the service started. But not a single one can authenticate, not even the admin from the web console.

I had to revert to 3.3.3 for now. Seems to be because sasl doesn’t like plain username.

I’m wondering if I should open a bugreport, cause it work in 3.3.3…

In the warn.log I get:

2007.11.14 18:20:56 SaslException

javax.security.sasl.SaslException: PLAIN authentication failed Caused by javax.security.sasl.SaslException: PLAIN: user not authorized: user

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.SaslServerPlainImpl.evaluateResponse(SaslServerP lainImpl.java:144)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SASLAuthentication.handle(SASLAuthentication.java :229)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.StanzaHandler.process(StanzaHandler.java:152)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.nio.ConnectionHandler.messageReceived(ConnectionHandl er.java:132)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$TailFilter.messageReceived (AbstractIoFilterChain.java:570)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.support.SimpleProtocolDecoderOutput.flush(SimplePr otocolDecoderOutput.java:58)

at org.apache.mina.filter.codec.ProtocolCodecFilter.messageReceived(ProtocolCodecF ilter.java:162)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.callNextMessageReceived(Ab stractIoFilterChain.java:299)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain.access$1100(AbstractIoFilt erChain.java:53)

at org.apache.mina.common.support.AbstractIoFilterChain$EntryImpl$1.messageReceive d(AbstractIoFilterChain.java:648)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter.processEvent(ExecutorFilter.java :240)

at org.apache.mina.filter.executor.ExecutorFilter$ProcessEventsRunnable.run(Execut orFilter.java:284)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: PLAIN: user not authorized: user

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.sasl.SaslServerPlainImpl.evaluateResponse(SaslServerP lainImpl.java:127)

… 17 more

My config is as simple as that:

<connectionProvider>

<className>org.jivesoftware.database.DefaultConnectionProvider</classN ame>

</connectionProvider>

<database>

<defaultProvider>

<driver>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver>

<serverURL>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/openfire</serverURL>

<username>user</username>

<password>pass</password>

<minConnections>5</minConnections>

<maxConnections>15</maxConnections>

<connectionTimeout>1.0</connectionTimeout>

</defaultProvider>

</database>

<provider>

<auth>

<className>org.jivesoftware.openfire.auth.POP3AuthProvider</className& gt;

</auth>

<user>

<className>org.jivesoftware.openfire.user.POP3UserProvider</className& gt;

</user>

</provider>

<pop3>

<host>127.0.0.1</host>

<domain>domain.com</domain>

<authRequiresDomain>true</authRequiresDomain>

</pop3>

Hey Gabriel,

Is there any chance you could provide us a POP3 server to reproduce and debug this issue?

Thanks,

– Gato

Gaston, you might be able to use pop.gmail.com

settings are here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

Hello try new install of openfire 3.4.1 then use export import your users.I am using windows xp and the upgrade would not work but the new install will.Install 3.4.1 to a new directory then you can switch your servers back and forth.The export impot is very simple to do I am using both 3.3.3 and 3.4.1 and just switching them back and forth untill the 3.4.x server is complete