powered by Jive Software

Possible resource leak?

I am pretty confused now. I’m not the expert developer so I was wondering if someone could spell it out to me. Is a release a new version of what is currently posted? Sorry I’m not much help here but I’ve been trying to resolve this problem for quite some time now. Thanks!

@Vinh – we’re talking about waiting for the next Smack library release, since we don’t necessarily want to pull a beta/nightly build of that lib into Spark’s TRUNK - since the beta/nightly is not vetted/tested as much and may change between now and when the next Smack lib version is released. The next Smack version will be 3.3.1 if I’m not mistaken, the current release of Smack is 3.3.0.

The jar’s I posted most recently are to be considered beta/nightly builds since I took it from the development branch of Smack and compiled it myself. They work well from my testing and do resolve the issue, but it may or may not end up being the same code as what will finally ship in 3.3.1 Smack lib. For that reason, you are welcome to use those jars until we integrate the next Smack lib release (after rcollier is able to finalize stuff and push out release 3.3.1 Smack).

To use them in a fresh build, you can simply drop those jars into your /build/lib/dist directory prior to compiling your custom Spark. To use them in an existing install of Spark – you can replace the ones in your Spark installation’s lib/ directory and restart Spark.

Hope that doesn’t confuse more! lol

You don’t have to modify Smack. You simply have to add something along these lines anywhere in Spark. This is the workaround to the current leak.

KeepAliveManager.addFailedPingListener(new PingFailedListener()


public void pingFailed()



I say wait for the next Smack release next week or later. Only long runners are affected by this mostly, so probably not so critical.

By the way, to get older version of the jars, you can simply copy the url from the current download and paste it into a new tab and change the version.

http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=smack/smack_3_ 3_0.zip


http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/download-landing.jsp?file=smack/smack_3_ 2_1.zip

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I’ll probably wait for the new smack. A post when it’s complete would be helpful. Thanks again!

Any better idea of the date for the release of the new version?

I am shooting for this weekend.

awesome, much appreciated!

Took a little longer than expected, but the new release is now out with the fix for the memory leak.

The powers that be should include this version as the dependency for Spark asap.

great, will test it and let everyone know!


Here’s the new installer (610 build with Smack 3.3.1) http://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/artifact/SPARK-INSTALL4J/JOB1/build-610/Install 4j/spark_2_6_3_12555.exe

great! thanks’ rcollier! and thanks wroot for taking care of the ticket and stuff.

i’m sure everything’s all good now, but i’ll post back the restults of my company’s most-recent interal build (probably rolling it out early next week).

Might be jumping the gun butI re-compiled it with the new smack but still running into the same problems. I’m going to retry building it and testing it again just incase I missed something. But just a heads up for anyone else testing it.

also make sure you do a full SVN checkout so that you get the latest Smack jar.

you can try applying this patch to your codebase: http://issues.igniterealtime.org/secure/attachment/12184/SPARK-33-Updated.patch

from SPARK-33

It updates the About Box and will display version info for Smack, among other things. The patch is more-or-less final, and is stable to run. This will help verify if you truely are using the latest Smack lib.

To apply the patch, I find using something like TortoiseSVN to make this easy. You just right-click the patch file, then click Apply Patch, choose the src directory of the Spark codebase, and it does the rest.

can we commit Spark-33 to the trunk?

Hello Walter. I’m OK with SPARK-33 as-is and use it in my company’s release with no problems. I think Tim Jentz was hinting at something about the build number from the CI being automatically updated somehow; I’m not familiar enough with Bamboo to know if that is possible… I did play around with ANT updating things, but it broke formatting horribly.

Anyways, I’m ok with it being committed now, we can always update it later as needed.

Hmm… I may be experiencing the same symptom as well. I just had my Spark hardlock on me and I had to force close it via Task manager. I restarted it, so we’ll keep an eye on it. I’m using the latest 3.3.1. Smack jar. Otherwise everything else is the same as it was before.

I loaded the version posted by wroot as is and it has been running successfully for a week now with no issues. Below 75mb of memory. I plan to do what Jason suggested and get a new copy of the SVN and update the Smack and then do my modifications. Will report back.