Private network configuration

I’‘ve installed the latest openfire on a linux box (Red Hat). I trying to setup a private network. I was able to do the http://localhost:9090 the first time and configure everything with MySQL. However, when I try to log in once I setup my admin password, I’‘m unable to log in. An error message is displayed on the index.jsp page (I don’'t have the error message with me now since I left work but it had something to do with a file transfer proxy error message).

I bleieve I may have some problems due to how our network is setup:

1. We don’'t have a DNS server (the biggest problem from what I have read)

2. The linux machine has a static IP Address

3. Firewall has the port blocked since I don’'t want users to IM outside of our internal network.

Basically, we have a firewall and then switches and then computers. A very basic setup. We have about 60 users in our office. We use Microsoft Exchange for our mail.

Any advice on getting a private network setup would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

Have you tried accessing the server using it’'s IP address?

You really will need a DNS server eventually really. If you’‘re using MS Exchange I’‘m really surprised you don’'t have one already (because Exchange is heavily reliant on Active Directory which needs DNS).

I’'d concentrate on setting up DNS on of your domain controllers, then worry about Openfire afterwards.

Yes, I tried using the following:

1. IP Address of the machine

2. Name of the computer

3. Name of where the Exchange Server resides.

Like you, I’‘m very surprised that there isn’‘t a DNS since we are using Exchange. However, I don’‘t claim to be an Exchange expert, so I’'ve got a lot of learning to do.

Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions on what to use for a DNS?

I’‘ll post the error that I’'m getting later tonight. Thank you for your help thus far.

You’'ll need a machine running the DNS service.

In a predominately windows environment, that’'s usually one or all of the domain controllers.