Problem joining MUC room

I’m sending a presence request for a user to join a MUC room but i’m not getting any response from the server at all. The server is running ok and i can discover rooms and do disco requests etc, but i just cannot seem to get a user to enter a room. Any ideas on what i’m doing wrong?

<presence from="user@chat.domain.com"

** to="roomname@service.chat.domain.com">**

What client are you using to make this request? Are you explicitly writing the XML packet in something like PSi?

I’m writing a custom C++ client. The XML requests are being created using TinyXML.

So i debugged it a bit further with a network tool and i see that i’m getting a presence error back from the server (a code 400, type modify, bad-request) but i haven’t figured out what is bad about the request yet

Got it (I think). Check out the XEP for MUC, entering a room - http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#enter: “If the user does not specify a room nickname, the service MUST return a error” and the XMP stanza that follows has “modify” as the type.

Just compared with our packets and what you should be sending I think is:

<presence from="user@chat.domain.com"

** to="roomname@service.chat.domain.com/user">**

So you specify your nickname when you join a room.

That worked. Thanks!

No problems at all. By the way, check out Guus’s Tinder library which you can find on this site. It’s in Java but you might find you can do a pretty good port to C++ (it’s open source). It gives some really really handy building blocks for building a client…