powered by Jive Software

Problems with Packet Filter in 3.3.3 and 3.4.2

Nate –

I’m having a problem getting 1.0 and 2.0 to work for my organization.

We’re currently using AD authentication and we’re only using Openfire

within the domain. I have the Packet Filter Plugin installed and

configured to drop all packets to and from a particular user, but it is

failing to drop them. We’re using Spark 2.5.7 and I’ve updated to

Openfire 3.4.2 from Openfire 3.3.3. Have you got any ideas what I could

be doing wrong? I’d like to use this to block specific users from

talking with other specific users.

Thank you,

Russ Warren

Russ,

I just tried this and was unable to reproduce your issue. Could I see a screenshot of what your rules look like?

-Nate

Attached is a screenshot of my rules. I’ve actually created 2 sets of rules to block everything to and from the user “metcalf@imserver.” I wanted to make sure the “any” selection wasn’t causing problems so I added the catch-all user.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to help troubleshoot this problem. I’m not very adept at Java, but with proper instruction I can get most anything done.

Thanks again.

A couple things I would try. First the names are case sensitive so I would verify that you really want the upper case. Also are you using 2.0? The *@server syntax isn’t implemented in 1.0.

To help debug further could you open the Spark debug window (“Advanced”-“Start debugger on startup”) before logging in. Send a couple of messages to the user you want to have blocked. From that output we could work backwards to see why the rule isn’t working.

Cheers,

Nate

It was definitely the case in the user that was causing the problem. After using the Spark Debugger to see the exact user it was sending the message to, I noticed that it was a case problem.

I’m not quite sure why it is specifying the user “metcalf@imserver” as “Metcalf@imserver” when I drop-down the user list, but when I just manually create the user for that rule it works fine.

By the way, I am using 2.0.

Thanks for all your help, Nate!

Glad you got it working. I’ll the case issue you ran into in 2.1.